Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Georgia and I want to learn how to do performance tunes and be able to do engine build ups. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
257 Posts
There is a school in Tenn. that is suppose to be the best of the best for performance building of motors.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks anyone else????

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not sure about your city but community colleges are usually a good source for auto tech instruction. Try to find one that is aligned with the manufacturer you prefer but almost all will give you the basic info.

If you are already a pretty good mechanic then it may be semi-boring because you will be required to take the basics first. Things like knowing the names of tools and how to use them and basic automotive components. You don't have to take every course if you don't want to but you will have to take a certain sequence. Performance is usually near the end.

On-the-job training is another option if you can talk your way into a mechanic's job or helper's position. I did it that way.

If you have no intentions of doing this work for a living then books and videos may be enough for you. You can educate yourself if you have the discipline and desire.

Good luck. Louie.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Move on up to MI and go to school where I go. Washtenaw Community College. They have one of the top auto tech programs around. I'm more on the autobody and customization side of things, but am still require to take at least the basic auto mechanics class, but I'm actually taking another mechanics class this fall, albeit mostly because of the instructor, he was awesome, and I like his teaching style, almost all hands on, not a lot of lecture and crap in the classroom, plus he's just a really cool guy to sit around the shop and BS with.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
And i just read on their site that they are closing the program... Washtenaw that is.
Could you post a link to that piece of news? I was just looking and couldn't find anything about WCC closing the program.

·
Registered
534 Posts
theres a couple good schools for auto related things up here in pa... I know theres a UTI where one of my buddies goes... u can get into anything u want there for example theres a ford, chevy, dodge u name it... theres also Penn Tech up in williamsport pa that is one of the best as well... my cuz went there... these two are really hands on and are really well known

jason

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Book learning how to fix cars is not the best source of learning. I have had alot of guys come out of Lincoln Tech here and can't fix anything. They can hang parts and do maintance but cannot fix anything.
The best source is find a shop that wants to work with and train technicians. That is how to learn to fix cars and diagnosis stuff not just hang parts, ect

·
[FJ] Fail Brigade
4,986 Posts
alot of community colleges tell you what you need to know and how to go about fixing and rebuilding engines. then just find a performance shop doing small maintenance and learn from them how to do all the tuning etc.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
i wish you the best of luck, because there are a LOT of people who want the same job you do, and its not a very big job market to begin with

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts
Not sure about your city but community colleges are usually a good source for auto tech instruction. Try to find one that is aligned with the manufacturer you prefer but almost all will give you the basic info.
In San Diego there are many auto tech instruction schools, but the one that is deemed the best by all proffesional mechanics is the one at Cuyamaca Community College. It literally has every single tool needed to work on a car. I am fairly confident as well that this goes for most cities. They are MUCH cheaper than private auto tech schools, and usually much better.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
And i just read on their site that they are closing the program... Washtenaw that is.
Still no response to my call out of posting a link to the news of my school shutting down the auto program?

I guess they're building that new motorcycle/small engine shop, and doubling the size of the body shop cuz they're shutting down the program.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts