Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it be better (or easier) to completely swap the auto tranny for a 5 speed or would it be better to just build the auto? i know approximately how much building the auto would cost but how much would an outright swap cost? one last question tho...how long should the auto tranny last if it is beaten pretty hard but with only minor bolt-ons? thanks

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Are you doing it yourself?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Concerning build up or swap,

it depends on how fast you want to go and what you want to do.

The stock tranny is rated to handle up to 135 lbs/ft, and stock auto Focus have 130, so the amount of play room is minimal. There are other factors that affect longevity though.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The tranny is rated at 135lb.-tq, but that is at the wheels. We make about 100-105 tq stock, so with minor bolt-ons you will be fine. I havent had any problems with what I have.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ even beatin it pretty hard (alot)? i will admit...i am young, i like to drive quick but i dont know what kind of (if any) damage i am doing to my trans. and no i will not be doing the work myself. i do know someone that would help me do it tho for barely anything. i only plan on doing the normal bolt ons but n2o would be nice too.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I beat the crap out of my car. I have had it for over a year, and I have beaten it every day. I am the most aggressive driver I know. You will do just fine. If you really want to get more power to the ground in an upgraded tranny get the race overhaul kit from performance automatic. You will be fine. If you put in the N2O you could break it though. If you get a small shot, 35 or so, you will be fine, but anything bigger will break your tranny.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
well, what noresull said way back in the day was that the transmission was rated to 270ft/lbs at the input shaft, which is after torque is multiplied by approximately 2...meaning 135, but not at the wheels.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
a beaten on tranny will last to about 50k. Mine's starting to go...dead stock at 43k. But then i like to use the od off button like a gearshift and LFB in the straightline to get revs on the boil.

Depending on money situation, i'm either getting a mazda 3, or waiting to see what happens with lentech's new auto. I want full manual auto

The auto to manual swap is a whore and a half. Unless you roadrace/autox, i'd stick to the auto. IT'll prove better for drag if hta's what you're into.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright thanks for all the help guys. makes me feel better that my car should atleast make it to 50K.
25k to go

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
im at 55K miles and I'm very hard on my automatic tranny.
fc cam gears
crower 2 cams
bomz cai
esslinger udp
fs exhaust

i really want to do a 5spd swap. as soon as i can afford it, it will be done.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
i wonder if you're bein 'saved' by having stg2's?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Has anyone seen the wrte up on the Focus project zx-5 auto in MM&FF. They added NOS, header, & cat abck and is running 14s but toasted there tranny. In the article they mentioned that upping the line pressure( with a chip) will help a focus tranny being that it is solnoid controled.

I am not sure about the line press but I may look into a performace auto focus tranny race kit.

Tim

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a question to add to the thread. Im thinking about doing a level 10 or performance automatic upgrade on my auto tranny. I have read a lot about the benefits of the lightweight flywheel in the MTX so I was curious as to whether or not one was made for the ATX and if so, where could I get it from.

Im thinking that when I get around to upgrading the tranny I might as well do that also if a lightweight flywheel is available. Any insight anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
autos use a flexplate, not a flywheel...(dont' worry, i didn't know that either for years)

Also, i'd caution against level10. Seems overpriced, and everyone says service is a nightmare.

Performance Automatic and LEntech are both extremely reputable companies and well-respected by the mustang world. Never heard a bad word said about either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank you blueovalbaboon, I didnt know that either. Shows how much I know about automatics. And I would agree with you on Level 10. I have emailed them twice about two different set ups and both were near $2000 or more. Whereas I talked to Performance Automatic this morning and they were very nice and I can get a race kit from them for $551.00 and a torque converter for $590.00. Thats not too bad to me, though the gentleman I spoke to was not sure what that would beef the tranny up to in H.P. and torque terms.

He did say that there was a guy here on Focal Jet with the I.D. of TooleBox that has their kit. Ive sent him an emai to see what he has to say. Hopefully he wont think my email too much of an intrusion and reply.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Guess now its just a matter of deciding on the best kit and getting it installed.

Anyone out there have any experience in installing a performace kit in an ATX? If so, what was your experience in cost in getting it installed and any impressions you have of the ATX after the kit was installed. Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i also talked to p.a. this morning and the guy i talked to said that just the overhaul kit would be able to handle 300hp easy but they havn't really had a good feel for the uppler limits up of it cause not many have been rleased. thats awsome almost to good is this true or are they just over exagerrating on that one? anyways p.a. i s the kit im gonna go with. ill have it in in about 8 weeks and ill tell you how i like it.

thegreat1

·
Registered
57 Posts
Excellent. The gentleman I spoke to also did not have a good idea on the upper limits. But had refered me to TooleBox, he mentioned him from Focal Jet specifically. So hopefully he will see this and make a post or reply to my email.

Are you planning to have the kit installed or are you going to install it yourself thegreat1? Did you just get the kit or did you get the torque converter as well? Im not sure I will be able to hold out much longer. The kit is very reasonably priced and I'd love to ensure I could handle forced induction easily.

i also talked to p.a. this morning and the guy i talked to said that just the overhaul kit would be able to handle 300hp easy but they havn't really had a good feel for the uppler limits up of it cause not many have been rleased. thats awsome almost to good is this true or are they just over exagerrating on that one? anyways p.a. i s the kit im gonna go with. ill have it in in about 8 weeks and ill tell you how i like it.

thegreat1

·
Registered
461 Posts
i got both toolebox has a badass setup and i think hes selling it cause he just blew up his motor. the reason im waiting 8 weeks is cause thats when im getting my turbo and im gonna have everything installed at once including heads turbo and tranny work. i have a buddy thats gonna help me do it so that i can save a lil on labor.

thegreat1

·
Registered
57 Posts
i got both toolebox has a badass setup and i think hes selling it cause he just blew up his motor. the reason im waiting 8 weeks is cause thats when im getting my turbo and im gonna have everything installed at once including heads turbo and tranny work. i have a buddy thats gonna help me do it so that i can save a lil on labor.

thegreat1

Excellent. You will have to let me know how it all goes. Id be interested in doing the tranny work myself. However I live in an apartment complex and I think they would scream a little with my tranny pulled out on the ground undergoing a rebuild. And besides that, Im not sure that is a job I want to tackle though I would love to learn how to.

Anyway, let us know how it all goes if you get yours done before I can get it all done on this end. If you do the install yourself I would definately be interested in know how easy/difficult it turns out to be.

If I had a good friend that was a tranny mechanic I'd just go down to his place and have him supervise so I could learn how to do it all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts