Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, whats up with the wolff racing tranny upgrade? if it was posted recently i probably missed it, but i remember the talks about prices coming out like last month or whatever.

and whatever happened to the guy (forgot his name) who just got the full level 10 tranny? did you break it in yet? results?

·
Registered
409 Posts
They did my tranny in early September. It shifts much quicker, and the 2800 rpm stall speed converter helps me get out of the hole better.
I did have a problem with a loose bolt that broke the crank angle sensor and shorted those pins in
the ECU. A friend at Ford replaced the parts at his cost, but they had to ship them back to the factory so I could not get level10 to inspect them and reimburse me. Fortunately it didn't cost
me too much, just some aggravation. It looked like somebody forgot to use lock-tite when they reinstalled the torque converter. Stuff happens
and overall I'm happy with the performance, since
I've heard that these junkboxes can't handle any
power over 150 horses.
By the way, does all this bickering always happen
on this sight? Everyone has their own opinion,
but some people seem to want to force theirs down
everybody else's throat and insult anyone who dares to disagree. Some people are new to the
modification game, and some old school people have
little experience with modern ECU controlled engines. Lighten up.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you get the whole level 10 tranny or just the hydrosystem?
when you say you heard they cant handle over 150 - is that for stock or for level 10? i've always heard around 170hp stockwise, and obviously higher with an upgrade.

about this site, yeah, some people are like that. but what are you gonna do right? at least it's not as bad as some other sites, plus you get some good info here most of the time. personally i dont even care...i just ignore them and keep to my own thing

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
the stock tranny is designed for 270 ft/lbs of torque at the input shaft. that is doubled from the output of the engine, so what does that leave you? 135 ft/lbs...STOCK
damn ford. it'll TAKE more than that, but thats what its designed for.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Word!

Wolff just dissapeared and so did baumann engineering. I want an upgrade but level ten is a rip, so many other things to do with my 3,000k

·
Registered
409 Posts
They did the whole thing: TS torque conv, clutches, steels, torrington roller bearings, and
hydrosystem. With tax, just under $4 g.
(ain't cheap, but less exspensive in the long run
than replacing things every time you beat on it)

You're right, ignore the naysayers. I get enough
negativity at work. Without this sight, I would not have known about FC (and Nader) or Tom & Mike.
Anyone else's info has to be looked at with the
microscope first,but those guys are straight shooters - no I'm not a suckup, but give credit where credit is due. What a slocus my car would be without proper info & experience.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'm running my auto with the below mods. higher than the tranny is rated for 50,000 miles. I would like that wolff racing kit, but I haven't had any real problems with my tranny yet.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
but then you have people like me with only bolt ons and are on their second tranny at 21K...it went at 18K with little abuse to boot....

SO, just goes to show ya.....and where is Wolff and Baumann...I should be ready in a few months to give you some cash

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i just got a couple of mods here and there and it was starting to chirp the tires on shifts every now and then, but now with my newest mod, it's just struggling to shift and the tire chirping is getting worse. it's like i was looking into doing this after christmas, but i would like to know how much im going to be spending and what not.

ulackfocus - so how does it drive afterwards? have you tested it at a track or on the dyno?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Please don't start arguing opinions as if they are
facts. If you know somebody that does good work,
then share it here instead of starting ANOTHER war. I have MANY recommendations for level10 from
people I know that have good reputations in the
industry, and a few that have the bulletproof upgrades done to their cars. A friend who has a
10 second talon & a V8 RX7 conversion (runs 8's)
asked me if this was a level10 job when he seen the car on the lift. When I told him it was, his exact words were: "You definitely do things right.
Why you do them, I don't know, but that's the right way to go". Of course he then busted my
chops about modifying a slocus (which he is absolutely qualified to do) but told me about a few people who had cars done there. Apparently,
they have been doing this for a while. You should
see all the pictures and articles from car mags
in the showroom.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I totally agree with ulackfocus about Level 10.
Do it right the first time!
I've been testing mine for a while now and it performs very well. It feels like stock, but can handle the torque now.
I can build 5psi of boost with the 2800 stall coverter if I wish (7 is full for now). And boost right through the shifts they'er so quick! Who needs a BOV when it shifts like this!
The full upgrade is rated to handle 475Hp.
So far Wolff and Baumann are vaper-ware.
I hope they do come out with something but unless you can wait Level 10 is the way to go right now.
They'er people skills are not the best, they'er price is High, and ther'er clear over in Jersey!
But I CAN vouch for they'er tranny work!...So far!

·
Registered
647 Posts
one thing i would like to know is on the L10 dose it or dose it not drop the power loss? if it dose then what to? and is there any diff. gearing they do to make it better?

then there is this i dont know the gearing spec on the euro atx but its better then the states, so would L10 be able to do the euro gearing in there or not with their kit?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was going to deal with LevelTen awhile ago, their customer service does suck and I really like how they tell you how they tested all of the specs they tell you. I have had 2 cars with tranny upgrades and both was no where near the price of LevelTen. Besides after a tranny up grade such as the LevelTen you should not be posting that the car feels like stock and you are glad it holds up. Thats why I did not go though the upgrade with them. I have nothing against you guys with the upgrade, I just know the levelten upgrade is junk. And it is in no way a race tranny like what Wolff says they will offer. I had a lot emails left unanswered by Levelten.

---Herb---

·
Registered
409 Posts
Who said anything about a race tranny? I use this car every day and I wanted a very driveable
set-up. How about putting some names & numbers
here instead of throwing around words like junk?
If you really do know a better solution than put it in writing in this thread. After all, if you
do have such a great solution, shouldn't you refer
them some business? If I owned a shop I would sure like some word-of-mouth advertising from a few satisfied customers. I don't hesitate at all to praise Focus Central or Auto Addictions. Most
places are a pleasure to deal with, and I had no
problem with Sam at level10. Maybe they're not
as smooth as a polished salesperson is, but they
aren't dirty dogs either. The toughest place to deal with was Jackson Racing, but that was because
they were in the process of putting together a big
boost kit and I was trying to pry the info out of
them earlier than they wanted to release it. They
still were more helpful than they needed to be
when we ran into a few headaches.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It drives perfectly smooth. The suspension was a
much bigger ride change (Eibach pro system plus)
to the everyday comfort than this upgrade was.
I have seen too many guys rip up their trannies
to not get mine done. If you ever seen the Pirelli ads with Carl Lewis (the sprinter) in high
heels you will remember the slogan "power is nothing without control". This doesn't just mean
tires. If you can't put the power to the pavement, don't bother modifying the engine. What
kind of fun is it to drive a 200+ whp car with a slipping transmission? I know level10 isn't cheap
but never be afraid to buy the best, it's usually
worth the money in the long run. I had an 85 Chrysler Laser that I blew out the gearbox on the
Mainline (in Philly) racing a CRX. THAT was embarassing. I would have gladly paid triple that
amount to avoid that situation. Look at it like
this: would you build an F-16 and then use
a rubber band to spin the propeller?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Originally posted by SOON2BN-FOCUS:

Besides after a tranny up grade such as the LevelTen you should not be posting that the car feels like stock and you are glad it holds up.
I just know the levelten upgrade is junk. ---Herb---
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just what do you think you would like to drive daily!
Harsh shifts that chirp the tires just cruising around, constant high RPM shifts, Or not even rolling till you hit 3000RPM.

OK...Maybe instead of "like stock" I'll say "Like it should!"
1. Takes off smooth.
2. Hold the brake and flash it up to 2800 before take off, if I want to fry'em.
3. Cruises nice.
4. Performs through a good thrash session.
5. Shifts quicker than most people can slap their stick. NO missed shifts.
6. Holds traction on a shift. (after is up to your Hp)
Last but not least.
7. It's actually AVAILABLE!!! With testimonials.

The only thing I feel could have made this tranny better is if I had the thing Cryoed before I installed it.
It is definatly NOT junk! You just know nothing. No wonder they don't answer your e-mails!

As for Wolff, Their price probably won't be much cheaper. There is actually alot of stuf inside an ATX. When they finally do come out with it, it will probably be a nice upgrade. Not a cheap, quick fix.
And Baumann makes some fine electronic trans controllers and other stuf. Some of which would complement an already built tranny. When they adapt them to the Focus.
Both are fine companies with good reputations, but their products are not ready yet.
Level 10 also has a very good reputation if you would bother to search on the net.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Confused Soul,
Please enlighten us on what we are all missing.
I dont think you can blame people for starting to become cynical about the Wolff tranny upgrade.

Mark (Wolff)was giving us all that "teaser" info, kept saying it would be out soon, then gave a a DATE- 10/23/02. What happened on that date, absolutely nothing. He has dissapeared. I havent seen/heard from him on the boards since. (I searched with him member #).

Now, Im not trying to be a smart *ss, or talk junk, just trying to express how I know i feel, and it seems other jetters may be feeling.

Happy Thanksgiving all!!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well did I upset a few, that was not my intentions. I'm sorry if I did. IMO and thats all it is, Levelten is way over priced and should get no praise. The way peolpe that have the fully tranny uprade state their tranny shifts and feels can be had with just their simple vavlebody upgrade and torque converter (if the have one that produces results.) And do they even have a set price, cause it seems to change all the time. Just curious have you guys even tested it on 1/4mile or a dyno? A $4000 tranny upgrade should be a race tranny that should be totally streetable, but should not get the reveiws that Levelten gets. I mean if you guys want to give them praise then do the test that they wont do and let us know. Besides tell us it can handle 475HP is a empty statement. This is suppose to be bullit proof, guess they never heard of TURBOTOM

---Herb---

[ 11-28-2002, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: SOON2BN-FOCUS ]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts