Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering how other auto trans owners are doing on horse power. let me know what you got and if it works. I need some help desiding what i am going to do next.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i had cams(crower stage 2's), cam gears, headers, exhaust, high flow cat(randomtech), UDP, and 180 degree thermostat. pretty nice gains, but gave up on the auto. i would buy a few tranny upgrades before modding it too much. that's where i went wrong. Levelten and Baumann Engineering have good kits from what i've heard. pretty pricey, but it's supposed to make the auto. pretty close to manual as far as response time, etc. good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx man did you ever run it in the 1/4 mile?

·
Registered
354 Posts
upgrading an auto is rolling the dice. Some people are pushing 200HP while others nuked there tranny driving stock.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Tranny is on the outs with below mods. I ran an 18.4 with the below and a 1/4 tank of gas.

I would get the tranny kit and then go to town. It's going to cost some money so make sure this is what you want to do.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a worked head, cams, and the array of usual bolt-ons....needless to say my auto is shot....if you wanna mod it, you're going to have to do the tranny up first....I'm opting to swap out for a 5-speed, can't beat that.....well, good luck w/ it!

-jase

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just as a matter of interest, the Ford Focus Factory Workshop Manual states that the Focus 4F27E Automatic Transmission is designed to handle a maximum input torque after the torque converter of 270 lb.ft. From this, might one assume that problems with the automatic are probably from it being abused and not from putting too much power to it ? ?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Originally posted by Roger Eastman:
Just as a matter of interest, the Ford Focus Factory Workshop Manual states that the Focus 4F27E Automatic Transmission is designed to handle a maximum input torque after the torque converter of 270 lb.ft. From this, might one assume that problems with the automatic are probably from it being abused and not from putting too much power to it ? ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i remember reading a thread about this somewhere and there was a slight argument going on as to what this actually meant. and if i remember correctly, it was decided that the transmission is only rated for half of that, so it would be 135... but i know absolutely nothing about engines, trannies, or just about any other mechanical thing so i could be wrong

as for what i'm doing - absolutely nothing. horsepower gains aren't going to be that great unless you do something 'radical' like a turbo or supercharger, so my engine is going to remain stock. it's just not worth the time, money, and effort in my opinion.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Best run is 10.761 in the 1/8 mile a few weeks back. My automatic has 46k miles and is stock, save for a gutted hatch and a K&N drop in filter. I'm very happy with what the car has been able to do, and I plan on doing a few more 'bang-for-the-buck' mods.

For giggles I went to one of those find out your 1/4 / HP / etc. sites. My car shows a 1/4 run of 16.8 and puts HP to the wheels of 106. Sometime in the next few months I'd like to hit a dyno and find out if it's true.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Quoted from someone:

"The Focus automatic is a 4F27E.

4 = 4 speed
F = Front Wheel Drive
27 = 270 Lb/ft Maximun input torque AFTER the torque converter
E = Electronically controlled

The torque converter can double or more the torque from the engine when the engine is turning faster than the transmission. So a safe level is not 135 hp it's more like 135 Lb/ft of torque. "

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so what all is avialible for trans and where do i get it ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what is the web sight that calculates your horse power and 1/4 mile time. i hav never seen any thing like that before . do you have the web adress.

·
Registered
729 Posts
those sites aren't very accurate at all because you have so many circomstances. Also, they usually base it on RWD

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
those sits are acurat. mathmaticly. it takes a certian hp to move a certian weight car an certian distance in a certian time. if you know all of those except on then you can figure it out
zx3 2700 lbs stock hp to wheels 115-102 depending on cams distance 1320 feet. acording to gtech pro i run 16.8 @ 89mph or so. my car is stock. i have dynoed it and got 92 hp but was rated at 104.0 peak because of a shift spike.
Quarter Mile Calculator

http://www.car-stats.com/stats/search/choosemake.aspx

[ 03-05-2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: zx3 focus racer ]

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
been tons of threads bout Auto-tragic and Auto-magic stories/nightmares...its a gamble, some trannys are blown straight stock with no manual shifting...or others like mine have been manual shifted everyday with mods galor and no problems...either way if u hit the 200whp mark u will start burnin the clutches out...so if u want to shoot above 170whp u will have to get a upgrade...and the only things available now that help u out wit that are only upgrades to PRoLONG the life of your tranny...however full-overhauls and "sportier" trannys are on the way...

I say do wat im doin, go mild...header/exhaust, intake,pulleys, etc...finish the exterior/interior and sell it for a 5speed (in another car or another focus) or get a car with a stronger sportier tranny like the mazda's...thats wat im doin (but mine will be 5speed no doubt!
)...RX-8/Mazda 6 (in 2 years will have 290hp and AWD)..
-chris

·
Registered
321 Posts
I gots a little done to my motor and the tranny is still kickin like it was new.

·
Registered
729 Posts
dont get me wrong...they're accurate to a point. But there are so many factors. I guess those sites are good for piece of mind, but not accurate because of reaction time, grip, shift speed, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts