Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. im dropping the focus. im wondering about people opinions on some springs, and what rear sway bar to get. i want my ride dropped! and a really stiff suspension. i am debating between h&r race, or eibach ground control for springs. and a progress 25 mm rear sway just to cut out understeer. what shocks should i go with in this setup?
need it as a daily driver, but i do know how to drive extremely lowered cars. im looking for a 2- 2 1/2 inch drop. and around 400 lb/in spring rates.thanks
oh and something that will hold up to abuse. i dont truck around in atuo-xing
bryan

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Sounds like you've already got it figured out man! Check out the spring-rate sticky for which brand. HR Race is a popular, quality setup.

One thing to keep in mind is that with a sway bar that big, you'll want to consider reinforced control arms.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
As for rear sway, I'd recommend the stock SVT rear if you aren't planning on upgrading the front.

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
Just so you know, the Progress isn't 25mm. It's 22.

And I'd say Koni's for either of those set-ups.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
H&R Race/Koni/and any rear bar that is 22-24mm (pick to taste). And add some negative camber up front...

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that with a sway bar that big, you'll want to consider reinforced control arms.
Would it be deemed a good idea to just purchase said control arms, just because? And where can they be had, just so I can look.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Well, I think the '04 SVT rear control arms had some minor reinforcement welded on, stock. And they are about $100 for the pair from Toulsey Ford (I think)

You should get them when running significantly larger rear sway bars than stock, because doing so puts more stress on the control arms then they were designed for. Otherwise, you probably don't need them.

I'm no expert. It's just something I came across while researching for my own setup.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Get some Koni Yellows revalved for 400+ lbs. Ground Control coilovers and have the struts modified to fit them. Pick up what ever bar you need to get the right balance. (You might already be able to achieve this with custom springs anyway - pick your rates.) Pick up the K-Mac plates from focaljet-1 when thay are available soon. Dial in that camber and corner weight the thing and call it good.

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
auto-x kicks drag racings @$$ in my opinion only!
bryan
Trust me, there are many others who share your opinion.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
right now there is no sway bars of any kind on my ride.
Did you take the front swaybar off?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Naw, his front is on there. He may either just not know it or he didn't think of it.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Another option is the GAZ coilovers from www.batinc.net .
They are available with custom spring rates.
You likely won't need a rear bar THAT big if you get a good spring rate balance in the first place.
Just don't take any advice on spring rates from a Honda guy or any other car with 4 struts.
Our cars have front struts and rear shocks, with the rear springs being mounted slightly inboard.
A different ratio is necessary for our application than for a 4 strut car.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
If it has an SPI, then it's probably missing a rear sway bar. All Foci have front sway bars.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Carl's a stickler for OEM parts. Or rather, the people half a second slower than him are.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts