Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. i am going to really get into auto-x.
suspension and tires and rims are my main concern with the point i am at.
i am going to have a dedicated set of auto-x rims. i was wondering what type of slicks to get, orif just a good ultra-high perf tire would work.i would probably go with goddyear eagles on my street rims. but what size rim/tire to go with for auto-x?
thx bryan

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
If you're just starting out, run a quality "street tire" as opposed to a full R compound. You will learn lots more about driving as the street tires will amplify your mistakes whereas the R tires mask them.

Wheels depend on class...so I am assuming that "stock" is out, as you wouldnt be asking about them then. The best wheel is the smallest diameter that clears the brakes--but no more than a 16" in any case, IMO. Find a tire that is 23-24" in diameter and 205-225 wide; wheel offset in the 42-45mm with a width of 6.5-7.5" . Tires, next to yourself, are the most important factor...then shocks, springs, camber adjusters and swaybars. I run in STS on 15x6.5" ET43 Volvo/Borbet Ebay specials with Falken 205/50-15 tires...not the lightest or the widest wheel, but cheap and effective enough to be competetive.

For a good autocross worthy street tire, consider the Falken 615, Hankook Z212, Kumho MX, BFG KD as the 'best' of the bunch (or Falken 215's if you can still find any)...Bridgestone SO3/PP, Falken 451, and a few others like BFG Sports being 'honorable mention'.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts