Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the least amount of fuel that can be run w/o getting into starvation issues...who has tried what successfully? I've been a full tanker...

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
What is the least amount of fuel that can be run w/o getting into starvation issues...who has tried what successfully? I've been a full tanker...
Depends on the condition of your fuel pump I guess. I used to be able to run down to/past the fuel light being on. Now, I get starvation at just above the 1/4 tank mark. But only in high speed sweepers on a track. Will find out next weekend how it does at an auto-x but I'll probably be a "full tanker" as well just for safety's sake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've run it with less than 1/8 of a tank (light came on) with no problems, and I've run on a full tank. I kinda like to run right at or just under 1/4 tank. I think my focus can handle a little fuel sloshing around better than it can handle the weight of a full tank. Gas is heavy... Remember, our car is too heavy to begin with.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gas is heavy...
Yep...that was my whole point of seeing who has done what...if we all can take the weight of 8 or 9 (or more) gallons out of the back of the car with no ill effects, it would seem to make sense to do so.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
I'd like to see how the car scales (crossweight) with a full tank. Of course, those with t3h coil-overs can adjust for this, but for those who do not have spring height adjustability, this would be an interesting bit O' info.

The tank's position is a good one for balancing out the driver, and our in-tank pumps like to be cooled by fuel.

Yes, our cars are already too heavy and I know where the engine is placed... just pondering here, that's all...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Last Sunday, we ran under 1/4 tank down to maybe an 1/8th. I think the fuel light came on on my last run. No problems. Then drove 15 miles or so to the next gas station after the event.

Van

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
At one Autocross I shared my car. We ended up running without any issues with the needle below the empty mark.

But, I wouldn't put too much faith in the fuel gauge on my car relating to the fuel level on a different car. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't put too much faith in the fuel gauge on my car relating to the fuel level on a different car.
You mean I can't use your fuel guage to see how much gas is in my car? Shucks!

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I run well under 1/4 tank as well... except when my pumps were failing and I was forced to run 3/4 tank to keep from starving.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I wouldn't put too much faith in the fuel gauge on my car relating to the fuel level on a different car.
You mean I can't use your fuel guage to see how much gas is in my car? Shucks!
Now I know you know that is NOT what I meant!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I usually have to drive a ways so I usually end up racing with about 1/4 of a tank. But this past weekend I did most of my runs (before cording my tires) with the light on, which for my car is consistently around 2.5-2.8 gallons (ran out of gas once). Even a quater of a tank is about 2.5gal OVER the reserve so a quarter of a tank is like 5gal+

I think theres a HUGE difference between and 1/8th or 1/4 versus all 13gal. I think there was a post somewhere that mentioned something about a gallon of gassoline weighing in around 6lbs...78lbs over the rear with a full tank.

CCC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts