Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the situation. The first turn on the autocross course: it's a 90 degree left hander at about the top of 1st gear before braking. Here's my problem: I roll in with some brake, turn the wheel, car understeers and front tires spin. As it was described to me my front tires were turing more to the left than the direction my car was turning. (large slip angle?) I was slow coming off of the corner which was the result of some wheel spin.

So can someone explain a better technique for this situation?

I have a small video of a 02' Honda Si in the exact turn HERE, it is number 47 in the album called Si01

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
That left hander has plenty of room to spread out. While still driving a reasonably tight line, unwind the wheel as you SLOWLY roll in the throttle, which will prevent wheel spin. In that situation, I would also likely be in second gear before I got to that corner.

1) Unwind the wheel gently as you roll on the throttle.

2) Use less throttle until the car can take it.

or

3) Use second gear

Above all, if the car is understeering and/or having inside wheelspin, never add more angle to the wheel. Reducing the angle on the wheel will bring your grip back.

Remember that in autocross, often the fastest way around a certain corner will feel the slowest... i.e. Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast.

There are a ton of very fast drivers that live up in that area... I highly recommend taking a few coursewalks with somebody that seems to have their stuff together. THAT will help you the most. I also recommend inviting those people to ride with you, as well as you riding with them... That will help you much more than trying to describe the corners in text.. online..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I agree with much of everything you said. Today at the AutoX in Everett I course walked with a veteran autoxer who drove a ZO6. He had excelent words for advice on rear drive cars and front drive cars. He recommended to shift to 2nd before the left hander, which sounded good and thats the way I started my first 4 runs. In my next 2 fun runs I didnt shift into 2nd until after the corner. I shaved 5 tenths off my time on both laps! I think I wasnt braking enough and pushing the car in, along with not being smooth enough getting on the throttle. Over today, 2nd in Novice, I'm very satisfied.
Now, on to Bremerton on Sunday!

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
That's at least 3 events for you in Novice isn't it? Have fun running in-class next week.
Looking at your signature (assuming all your relavent mods are listed there)...

SCCA: STS
WWSCC: ST2 xFSP
BSCC: Medium Sedan ("MS" for short I think? I still don't get that one
)

·
Registered
885 Posts
My $.02
I have been trying to learn how to drive my SVT this year after many years of rear wheel drive.

Other than the normal things such as air pressure adjust to help the front stick, the main issue is learning to brake with the left foot.

After shifting to 2nd, I possition my left foot over the brake and use the left foot for all braking. A lot of times this means not fully releasing the gas peddle.

As you enter the turn, brake into the turn, keeping some accelertion. As you sense the front pushing wide, use the brake, and ease the gas. You end up going through a turn with several "changes" in direction, trying to keep on what you determined was the "correct" line during the walk through.

This is definately a learned skill, which requires practice and experience. I'm getting better with three firsts in G Stock this year out of six events. I still am uncertain as to the shock and tire setup, as well as the speed into the 180 degree turns we seem to have too much of.

Sunday is another showdown with the ACR Neons. Their fronts stick much better with the negative camber they can dial in. I hope for a little more opportunity to "stand-on-it" to use the SVT's power.
Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts