Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best autocross tires for the money? I was looking on tirerack.com and noticed that some of them are over $200! I definitely don't wanna spend $800 on tires. Please suggest some cheap but good tires.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
What class do you intend on running in?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's another thing. I'm fairly new to this type of racing and am still not familiar what sets all of the different classes apart from one another. If you are a highly experienced autocrosser, look at my signature and please determine my class. I've been running in STS the times that I have gone.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what would be a nice but inexpensive R-compound tire? By the way, I'm gonna be getting the 15" aluminum Contour rims. They come with 205 tires so I'm guessing I might be able to fit a 225 on that rim. If not, then 205 is fine also. I just need a recommendation for a nice but cheap tire. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
If you're indeed that new, I'd suggest running in your class (SM) on street tires like Hankook Z212's or Falken RS615's...it'll be much cheaper and you'll learn a lot more. Most regions have a 'street tire' class which will let you run against all the other street tire cars on PAX index. Your raw time will be multiplied by the SM index of .842; the guy in the FS Mustang, for example, will have his raw time multipled by .805 and the FSP Golf will have an index of .811 etc. (these are based on the RTP index). Its a pretty good system and is very popular.

RTP

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
i second getting a season in on street tires. race tires mask mistakes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts