Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been searching .. researching .. But ive come to NO solid answer.. Wondering if you guys can help me out..

We all know on a standard zetec the long headers are better.. But because of the shift points on the automatic and the fact that theres 4 gears.. Does it help us as much as it does them?

IE. Does it do much more for us then the shorty header would.. ?

Is there any solid proof to this? I cant even find too many dyno sheets...

If i can get my hands on a long header in the next month im going to dyno the difference.. But im curious till then.. My short header made 1 hell of a difference.. I cant for a life of me believe the long header will do "that much more"..

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
A long tube header is much better. More gains. And if you want to take advantage of the powerband, get it chipped.

If you're planning on keeping your cat, then I'd say go shorty it's fine.

But if you're not planning on keeping your cat, might as well go for a race header.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why though .. no offence but im not satisfied with that answer..

I want like hard proof.. you say "more gains" but this has only been proven with hard facts on the standard...

Have you ever had the shorty on your car shiva?

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
yeh i got a auto too...but unfornetly i ahve to pass emissions for my rents and ****, so im going with the SVT/high flow cat setup which should pass for emissions (also cuz the guy who does it is a towny and can pick him off wit a 20
)...
-chris

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by tdot-zx3:
Why though .. no offence but im not satisfied with that answer..

I want like hard proof.. you say "more gains" but this has only been proven with hard facts on the standard...

Have you ever had the shorty on your car shiva?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nope, haven't had a shorty on mine.

As above so below. if it makes more HP/TQ on an MTX than a shorty, then it's going do the same on an auto. It's just that the ATX will still swallow up some of that power regardless of header type.

Regarding the power band, yes the power is a little higher (but I have stage 2 cams so all my power hits like at 4000). If you're chipped, you still can reach the higher rpms.
I really haven't had to complain. reasonable 1/4" times in an auto, probably could do better.

But hold on to your undies when you hammer it.

[ 02-11-2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
255 Posts
well another jetter on here had a race with me at a local track last year. his name is UniqueZX3. he has a black focus ZX3, automatic, iceman, intake, borla exhaust and focus central race header. my mods in comparison are an injen intake, ac autotechnic exhaust, jba street header. he wiped the floor with me by 3 car lengths. the times produced were 16.99 on his and 17.4 on mine. it makes a lot of difference from what we both saw, and it convinced me to dump the shorty for a race header.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I dont have cams .. See .. When cams come into play that might alter it though.. Might not even..

And Jimel, ya he smoked you but that means very little since theres too many external factors when you race..

I dunno.. Im just not satisfied yet..

Whos has both!? Can someone direct me to a dyno chart pic from an automatic?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
well you know there IS a reason SVT decided to put a long tube header on the Focus...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes i know that .. Im not stupid man ..

All im doing is wondering rather then just going with the obvious... People have said they dont notice too much of a difference on an auto.. when they made the switch from short to long.. Then again it could be lack of tuning.. i dunno. Personally i just dont think they can be as affective as with the standards.. I think we need to keep our low end..

So im deciding whether i should get the bosal cat or get Long headers... Its simple. I want proof ON AN AUTOMATIC.

Michael wouldnt have started the shorty+cat VS the longheader thread if there wasnt a debate...

The debate was based on the gears and shift points in a standard.. That all changes on an auto..

Im curious. Thats all. No need to play me like im stupid.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by tdot-zx3:
[QB]Yes i know that .. Im not stupid man ..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry dude, Forgot my smiliey

But seriously, I don't think any automatic has dyno'd (at least here) with a long tube header.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts