Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I don't want an automatic, thank you. But I'm puzzled about something - maybe you guys can shed a light on this.

The Focus shares manuals with vehicles like the Mondeo, the Cougar, and the Contour. The manual fits even the V6 models. But for some odd reason the Focus gets a wimpy automatic that's able to take only stock 4-cylinder power levels.

Has anyone ever attempted to swap in a transmission out of a V6 Contour or Cougar? Seeing the prices for a Level 10 upgrade, I'm amazed someone hasn't asked the question yet.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
somebody actually just brought this up the other day in the "how much power can the stock ATX handle" thread...

from what we've discussed, to do something like this, we would most likely need to custom make a new housing, play w/ some harness splicing, and more likely than not, we'd need some serious work on the computer... as the tranny is all controlled by the ECU, a stock ECU definately wouldnt be able to control another trans unless it was identical electronically.

Though, a little bird singing at the window did mention that the ATX tranny from the new Focus Pzev has a much stronger set of clutches rated at roughly 150hp (correct me if im wrong), and this tranny will hopefully be plug & play

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
European auto tranny aparently is better too..

Maybe even the Aussy one?

Like its got ALOT of complex electronics .. you figure it could be a good thing. I dunno why its gotta be so crappy.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found it... hmmmmm...

Go here to see the thread.

Hmmmmm... this doesn't sound impossible, but building up your stocker would probably cost the same and give similar results. Damn.....

Thank god I chose the manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts