Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hope you guys can help,

i was trying to change out a burnt rear tail light(left side), everything worked except for the stop light. so i bought a new bulb and nothing happened, so i tried the same burnt out bulb in the next socket and want do you know it worked.

so now i'm confused, then i think its the socket, so i swap out the socket with the right side and it also worked, put the right on the left and nothing. reassemble everthing and now i figure i'll go back to the and return the new bulbs.

now neither side is working (break light) and what do you know the car now doesn't want to come out of park. so i looked up the symptoms on the manual i have on cd and it says that is could be the:

--------------------------------------------------
Stoplamp switch

The brake pedal position (BPP) switch is mounted on the brake pedal bracket.

It switches the stoplights on and tells the EEC V PCM when the brakes are applied.

The signal of the stoplamp switch is used by the PCM for the following functions:

— to release the torque converter lock-up clutch when the brake pedal is depressed,

— to switch off the manual selector lever shift lock when the brake pedal is depressed in "P".

No substitute signal is available for the BPP switch.

If the connection to the BPP switch is cut the manual selector lever cannot be moved out of "P".

--------------------------------------------------
have any of you guys gone though something like this?

what do you guys think about this?

i'm now tring to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and holding down the brake pedal for awhile, i hope it works.

hope you can help.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I hate to be an asshole..but did you check the fuses?? As in like pull the right ones out and check them??

I had that same problem and I finally pulled the corresponding fuse and sure enough..it was blown.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that was it, fuse #54 underneath the dash.
i checked them over before, but i went over it quickly. i didn't think there was anything that would have cause the fuse to blow.

thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i found out why the switch didn't work, now i have to find out why no power goes to the left on the orange white wire.

if you any input, please let me know.

in the mean time i'll be checking for fuses.

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts