Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere in here about the automatic not being able to handle more then 135hp. I've only got a chip and intake on the way, but I had planned on ordered many more parts untill i read this. What can i do to strengthen the tranmission? Could I buy better/faster gears? or is it the internals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this means I gotta buy a whole new ****ing transmission?! WTF, there's no other options? Unless the "Performance Transmission System™ Kits" applies to automatics, I think im screwed.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You can just get a new torque converter from them .. i think 900US .. aparently just that helps out quite a bit.

*cough* some of our sponsers should be helping us out. But i guess they can only make better stuff for the manuals..

[ 10-15-2002, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: tdot-zx3 ]

·
Banned
487 Posts
dontlisten to this nonesense about a auto not being able to handle power get the power then worry about it first im headed that way i should be there now but i aint saying anything yet till i get 150 hp ehehe thats when youll find out .

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have part of the level 10 upgrade..

everything except for the torque convertor..

should come in handy once I get my Turbo and Nitrous bolted up.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My shoe .. its better to upgrade before rather then later..

IcemanZX3 .. how come not the torque converter? I remember talking to them and them saying this would probably be the best option?

What did it cost you if you dont mind me asking. You could always Pm me.

·
Registered
799 Posts
i got the fc 65mm tb, that helped make the auto alot more responsive and fun to drive but it didnt bring out like 20hp or anything..try it u'll like it...

·
Registered
181 Posts
well i have an auto along with all the mods listed below in my sig. I have been dynoed at 142whp from a cold start. the only tranny upgrade i did was a tranny cooler. So our trannys can most certainly handle more then 139.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Originally posted by Floyd:
well i have an auto along with all the mods listed below in my sig. I have been dynoed at 142whp from a cold start. the only tranny upgrade i did was a tranny cooler. So our trannys can most certainly handle more then 139.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Try putting a 50 shot on that and watch your tranny shut down. hehe

Oo.. never realized you had a JR sc in there.. hows that and the auto? You could really use the levelten stuff im sure.

[ 10-15-2002, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: tdot-zx3 ]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Originally posted by zetecinside:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Miguel'szts:
I was just reading this
thread looks like Wolff Racing is coming out with
a ATX

http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=005672;p=11
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually I talked to Mark on AIM the other night and he mentioned that he is going to announce what the cost is of that kit for the ATX the end of this week.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thats awsome news .. i cant wait for that announcement.

Iceman .. did that stuff help in any way? I remember someone one here bought a full setup from them for like 3 grand and said it was like night and day. Im wondering if just that small kit made a difference?

Besides the fact that i want increased HP tolerance, I want the power loss to go down as well. I can only see the torque converter playing a role in that.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Holy **** .. just read that wolf racing thing .. only 6% powerloss.

Looks like thats the route im going if its around the same price.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yeah I got the kit for like $446 or whatever it says on the site..plus the hydrocooler.. and had a local transmission shop install it for another $400

I WOULD have gotten the TQ convertor. but at the time I dont think I needed it.. I can always get one later..

I am not sure about the warranty since I had it installed after I was over 36k

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
wow...i like the wolf racing kit...only 6% loss...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Stupid Math Speculation time.

(SVT) 170 hp at crank = 145 whp = 15% Driveline loss

Mod'd Auto ZX3 with 170 at crank and stock tranny = 25% driveline loss = 127.5 whp

Mod'd Auto ZX3 with 170 hp at crank and beefed up tansmission = 6% driveline loss = 159 whp

whoa.
stuff to think about.

Originally posted by zetecinside:
Actually I talked to Mark on AIM the other night and he mentioned that he is going to announce what the cost is of that kit for the ATX the end of this week.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">it's the end of the week! me hungry for news.

[ 10-18-2002, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
72 Posts
i am VERY interested in news about beefing up the auto. VERY interested. can't wait for the news to come out!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just wanna say thanks guys for asking the good questions. I've been looking for someone to either build up my tranny or something to help it out, because i have already lost one tranny and dont want to lose another after i go with a turbo. I was looking into a tranny swap....but it would be so awesome to have a auto tranny that could work like a drag tranny except without even having to shift the gears! Hopefully all will come together because a 6% loss is NICE.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts