Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think this is where this belongs.... I have the Autometer EGT gauge kit #4344. And in reading the directions ( a new idea for me!) I see that they say I need to install the probe as close to the engine exhaust port as possible...
Can someone please tell me if this is accurate, because the idea of ripping off the damn header heat shield is not real pleasant...
I would really like to put this probe down at the bottom near the 02 sensors.
Thank you in advance for the help, I will be doing this tomorrow...

·
Registered
712 Posts
It really does need to be as close as possible.

By the time the exhaust gas getts down to the o2 sensors, it has expanded greatly and is thus a diff temp than it was at the head (much cooler).

However, I have no idea how to remove the heat shield, as I havent taken a good look at the svt set-up.

Hope that helps,

Brad

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
u gotta take the whole header off, dont drill into the header while its on the car, the **** will go into your engine/and cat and **** it ALL UP

so u gotta take it off anyways....do it right

its ALOT of work and unless you have a turbo its useless, plus its an expensive guage, i know, i have it

[ 03-04-2003, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips Naz... I would NOT have taken off the header to do the install.
I have had this guage sitting in my room for almost two months now, maybe I should just put it up on Ebay... Because I really dont want to be tearing the entire exhaust system apart!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally posted by nazthug:
its ALOT of work and unless you have a turbo its useless, plus its an expensive guage, i know, i have it
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The egt can help detct detonation (knock)that can occur with cars with turbos and even with some superchargers and nitrous systems, if you have no forced induction you do not need it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Originally posted by my2002svt:
Thanks for the tips Naz... I would NOT have taken off the header to do the install.
I have had this guage sitting in my room for almost two months now, maybe I should just put it up on Ebay... Because I really dont want to be tearing the entire exhaust system apart!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">PM me please! I'm getting ready to buy one within the week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts