Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an Autopower roll bar in a Focus with a sunroof? I'm trying to install mine and its *really* tight up top. I specifically ordered mine for an SVTF w/ a sunroof, but I'm not sure if that info made it down to the right people.

·
Registered
374 Posts
do you have your carpet out? it is pretty tight, who did you order from? and did you specify sunroof??
I have about an inch without a sunroof

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cut holes in the floor carpet and removed that inch or so padding under there. I also took a gasket scraper and scraped that rubbery stuff off of the sides so its on bare metal.

I ordered it through dgtrials.com which is a company that did a big group buy over on clubrsx.com. Awesome price, no tax, no shipping and so far, they've been very helpful during the order process. I specifically made a point to mention my sunroof in every email and in my payment and they even stated that it was an important part of the ordering process.

Definitely looks like this one will not fit. As I can't get it to move forward enough to get the downpipes in place. And its pushing up way to hard on my sunroof rails, and I can't imagine my sunroof working much if I did get it installed.

I've emailed dgtrials and will just hopefully be able to either get this one fixed, or get a new bar. Fortunately Autopower is literally 30 minutes down the freeway from me, so shipping costs aren't an issue.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Its got a mounting base on the bottom of the piping that sits on the floor right? WHat about cutting th eplate off...cutting out a section just enough to make it fit, then weld the plate back on. I can't imgine that it would cause the rollbars to be ineffective.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately that is out of my league as far as performing a fix. DGTrials has already gotten back to me and they are getting their Autopower person involved. So hopefully this should get squared away shortly here.

I guess the thing to take from this is that the non-sunroof version roll bar WILL NOT fix in a sunroof equipt vehicle.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got a call from Autopower this morning. For all the bars they've sold, no one so far has mentioned this problem, but then again, most people that track their cars probably were smart and didn't get the sunroof option either.

But, they are building me a new bar as we speak, and I will be their guinea pig with the "Focus w/ sunroof" specs. Should be ready on Monday apparently.

No matter what you think of their roll bars, the company and their customer service rocks!

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
what you doing with the old bar?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm assuming Autopower will be taking it back.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
if not i call dibs for a good price of course.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to update this... I received the new "sunroof" version of the bar and it is now the perfect height. Unfortunately the main hoop was not parallel to the b pillars and seemed to lean backwards a bit. I found that the down pipes were about an inch too short and this caused the bottom of the main hoop plates to dig into the flooring at a sharp angle, which would making the bar just about useless in the event of a roll over. It would probably rip straight through the floor like a chisel.

I called up Autopower and instead of building a completely new bar again, asked if they could just send me a few more curved backing plates to stack under the down pipes. 2 days later they arrived (Autopower customer service rocks!) but they didn't lay flush and it just wasn't going to work.

After some serious frustration I decided to go the stacks of really wide steel washer route. Definitely not the safest route to go, and certainly wouldn't pass tech at any NASA/SCCA events, but I had a track day coming up and wanted to use my new 5 point harness. The only danger with the washers should of been in the event of a roll over, not frontal collisions or things like that since I was still making use of the full Autopower backing plates.

Unfortunately, this brought up another problem. To make the sunroof version, they chopped 2 inches off of the legs, but they didn't raise the harness bar. So now, with my stock seats, the harness bar is about 5 inches below my shoulders. That's 4 inches lower than even the absolute lowest safe angle.

So, I'll be calling Autopower on Monday and/or driving down there to explain my issues.

So, if you are thinking of getting an Autopower rollbar in a sunroof equipped Focus, WAIT!!! Hopefully it won't be too much longer before the bugs are worked out with this set up.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
what about the old one?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, you wouldn't have to. But you would need to cut a 3" hole in the plastic side panel for the down pipe to go through. Its certainly do-able if you did want to keep the rear seat, but it would take a little more planning.

I don't have any pictures at the moment, but will get some once I get my car back. Its currently at Vortech for about 2 weeks getting their new SC installed and tuned.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:
Just an update on this. Starting to get the run around from Autopower now. I called to find out about getting this bar corrected, and was told I'd need to leave the car with them for at least a week, and it would be 30 to 90 days before they'd even have the chance to look at it. I tried making an appointment, and they said just call again in 30 days to "check".

So currently, the Autopower roll bar for sunroof'd cars is completely unsafe in its current setup. The down pipes to the back are too short, and cause the feet of the main hoop to knife-edge into the floor of the car. In even a light rollover, they would punch through the floor of the car like it was made of butter. I have the down pipes prop'd up with stacks of washers for the time being, but this also is not entirely safe.

And the placement of the harness bar make it completely unsafe for use. The harnesses are supposed to not exceed a 5* downward angle from the shoulders, and are currently probably more like 60*. The Autopower rep tried explaining to me that this was safe, but he's full of it.

I didn't pay $380 for a show piece, and hope they fix this before someone puts their trust in this bar and gets themselves hurt.

As it stands right now, in my book, Autopower

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
I will end up paying double the amount you paid but I know it will be ready to fit when I get it. Sorry you are having so many issues with yours.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Chris, I wonder if they understand the media attention you might get if you were involved in an accident with their unsafe roll bar. You have quite an audiance here, and as you and I have discussed, I have been waiting for yours to get fixed.
They have now officially lost one customer!

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Chris, I wonder if they understand the media attention you might get if you were involved in an accident with their unsafe roll bar. You have quite an audiance here, and as you and I have discussed, I have been waiting for yours to get fixed.
They have now officially lost one customer!
Yeah!!! Go roll your car
Oh wait thats a bad idea... nevermind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts