Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference in driving when i manually shift the tranny from [email protected] then 2nd at 4000 then drive, or should i let the comp do it. are there any pros or cons in doing this?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by FriscoFocus:
Only advantage is being able to hit redline. Other than that is is pretty close to regular. I havent had any harm done, just dont neutral drop for god sakes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">what's neutral drop?
is that where u have it in neutral and you ev it up and drop in it gear in high rpms?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
w/ manually shifting it upwards you can utilize a bit more power when not driving at WOT (wide open throttle).

When it's at partial throttle and you shift it up at say 4k, you'll be making more power at that 4k than you would at say 2k when the computer shifts it.

Now say you're at the drag strip and you're at WOT and you run 1st gear to 6k then shift, then 2nd to 6k then shift.... there are times when the computer will not be ready to shift when you tell it to... so you may be at WOT and go from 2nd to 3rd and it'll keep climbing in revs until the computer wants to shift. This is not BAD for the car per say... but unfortunately it can hurt our power...

When you go to shift at say 6200rpm which is your peak power, but the car runs it up to say 6500rpm, that 6500rpm mark is usually going to be after your powerband starts to drop off...

As for Neutral Drops... those are TERRIBLE for the transmission.... What a N Drop is, is when you put the car in Neutral, run the revs up to say 5k and then dump the car into a drive gear at High RPM. this is almost an instant way to blow up the weak clutches that we have in our ATX tranny.

Hope this has helped

-Toole

[ 01-26-2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: TooleBox ]

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx for yalls help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts