Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know the deal with these tires? Avon Tech M550 A/S http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Avon&tireModel=Tech+M550+A%2FS
They get nothin but good reviews from the people at TireRack, but nobody has a lot of miles on them. My wife travels about 80 miles/day on the NYS thruway so road noise is a consideration but I like to drive it hard when I get my hands on it. We have the stock 16" rims that come on the 2002 Mach and have run the OEM's for the first 80,000 miles. Any suggestions? Almost forgot to ask, are the 205's my best option? Will I gain anything by going thinner or wider?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2002 ZTS Sedan

·
Registered
151 Posts
they sound like the best choice for alot of highway driving.

i'm going to get a set when my p6's are spent.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
What size are you planning to run? Sorry, I should have included that question in my post last night. I don't see the M550 A/S as being available in the recommend 15 or 16 inch fitments for your vehicle!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Avon&model=Tech+M550+A%2FS
I was planning on running 16's like I have now. I have 205/50/16 on the stock rims. However, that exact size is not available. Will I have a problem with a wider or taller tire? I also forgot to mention that another New York winter is on its way so I have to take that into consideration.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Your correct, the M550 A/S's are not available in your O.E. size of 205/50R16. The closest size would be 205/55R16 which would be .8 inches bigger in diameter, and .1 inches wider. As such, the 205/55R16's may cause some rubbing issues. Hopefully, someone may be running this size today and can confirm it's go-to-go or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I doubt rubbing will be an issue as I have quite a big gap between the wheel well and the tire. How do I know if a tire will physically fit on the rim? Is there a way to find this out?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The 205/55R16 Avon M550's will fit on a rim width range of 5.50 to 7.50 inches and your O.E. wheels should be 6.5 inches wide, so it looks like your good-to-go regarding wheel fitment!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, can I buy wider tires for these rims(OEM on ZTS)? Or is that not recommeded for the winter anyway? The tires I have on there now are 205's so I believe that's 8.07 inches. My options from tirerack are 205, 215, 225 and 245. I like the sidewalls on these so I don't really want to go with a taller tire, but it looks like my best option is 205/55/WR16.

·
Registered
501 Posts
well, i bought the Avon 550's in July and have quite a few road trips on them....

road noise isn't an issue ( at least compared to the Kuhmo's i had )

traction seems good in the wet/dry, overall pleased with them

but as you said, only put a couple thousand miles on them so far, will need to see how they do over a 6 month span to get a feel for the wear and winter driving characteristics

and i have them in the 215/45/17 size

l8r, John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts