Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know is this really feasable. A lot of people have brought it up and I read everything in the search. I am going to start to research it for the next phase of my car after the turbo kit so let me know any info at all that you might have. thanks

jason

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by stylez:
I need to know is this really feasable.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Money makes anything feasible.

Personally, I would not do it. I'd like to, but if I could afford to have an AWD swap, I would have gotten a WRX.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it feasable with in reason. I might be able to do this because its coming to gether one oiece at a time. where as an evo or wrx comes with one fat price tag. what kinda money am I lookin at???
I know I need parts from an x type and escape but what will the cost be???

[ 02-13-2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: stylez ]

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Probably $8k-$15k+... If you can find somebody willing to do the extensive fabrication required to fit an AWD gearbox to the Zetec... and then the body and rear suspension retrofit required.

I don't feel it is worth it for the very minimal improvement in handling and grip... not to mention the increase in weight and potential loss of rear suspension capability.

...when you are done, you'd have a car that is slower than a stock ZX3... so then you'd have to spend another massive wad of cash getting the engine up to specs.

[ 02-13-2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: OmniFocus ]

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I'd just get a WRX, STi, or a EVO.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I'd be glad to take anyone on a few local "hot laps" in our current rare SoCal rain deluge to tell you that his holiness, Mr. Quaife, will immediately have you noting any AWD project as a bloated, overcomplicated mess.......for $595.00 and a pricey install that's peanuts compared to some AWD conversion....

It's getting to be a cliche, but we can exalt the RS once again as a perfect example of this. Unless you are trying to put down 300hp on mud and gravel, AWD is arguably not worth is weight gain and complication, and the impressive times for the FWD WRC Super 1600s on tarmac bode very well for this view.
.....annoying, dangerously misguided Subaru commercials notwithstanding

[ 02-13-2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: ZXmurph ]

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by ZXmurph:
Mr. Quaife, will immediately have you noting any AWD project as a bloated, overcomplicated mess.......for $595.00 and a pricey install that's peanuts compared to some AWD conversion....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

A quaife will give you the traction you want.

I'd say it would be comparable to a v8 swap, except with more work.

[ 02-13-2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
back in the day this topic came up, and actually it is feasable without having to create a custom system...supposedly if i remember correctly you can use the system (dont know if its all-wheel or 4 wheel) from the escape for the focus along with the platform...however dont even comprehend "wow now it is possible"...yeh if your bill gates...if i was gonna blow that much money rather buy a Skyline from motorex, pimp it out, and have all the all wheel drive fun i want, either that or ship over a 2005 WRX STi...
-chris

·
Registered
329 Posts
I look at escapes and focus' daily at my dealer(I am a mechanic) I really dont see someone useing the escape transmission/transfercase on a focus without major modification. Have you ever looked under a focus, for an example, look at the flex pipe, do you see the big loop over the steering rack and subframe...I dont see an axle doing that loop unless its made from rubber

so basically you would have to redesign the subframe and reposition the steering rack out of the way...which means alot of work. I dont even think there is enough room to fit the trans/transfer case in the focus with the rack and subframe where they are.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You could in essencebuy an AWD unit for the Escape 4 cylnder, but realize that your gearing would be different and you would have to fabricate a custom driveshaft. You would still be looking at around $8-10K for the complete swap. Although if it is someting you desire greatly, then start saving, and trying to find a shop that will do it for you. Even if you do find a shop to do it, if they do it wrong, you're screwed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
a place here in bc is building one as we speak looks to run close to 40K+ for a complete car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally posted by OmniFocus:
I don't feel it is worth it for the very minimal improvement in handling and grip... not to mention the increase in weight and potential loss of rear suspension capability.

...when you are done, you'd have a car that is slower than a stock ZX3... so then you'd have to spend another massive wad of cash getting the engine up to specs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">True, this will add some weight to the car, but did anyone notice the fact that he said he would do this after a turbo? That will add "just a little" extra hp.
If he is running this in the 1/4- 4 wheels spinning vs. 2 will win in the 60 ft. any day.

Don't get too pissed at me either about this:
It has to be possible for the swap, look at the Rally Focus, isn't it AWD? Where did they get the parts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
now I have heard about taking the drivetrain from an X-type will that work.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by JBone:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by OmniFocus:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">True, this will add some weight to the car, but did anyone notice the fact that he said he would do this after a turbo? That will add "just a little" extra hp.
If he is running this in the 1/4- 4 wheels spinning vs. 2 will win in the 60 ft. any day.

Don't get too pissed at me either about this:
It has to be possible for the swap, look at the Rally Focus, isn't it AWD? Where did they get the parts.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The WRC focus's axles are longer
The engine mounts are completely different (then engine sits at an angle and it's lower than ours)

You can make a Rally Focus in the US.... Take an old merkur and put the rally focus body shell on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Originally posted by JBone:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Heh...that's almost as bad as comparing a Winston Cup Lumina to a Chevy Lumina on a dealer's floor. The body might be the close, but that's about it.

Info on the RS WRC AWD from a WRC info site:
Permanent four-wheel drive with M-Sport designed and manufactured electro-hydraulically actuated active front, centre and rear differentials. Electronic differential control units. M-Sport/Xtrac type 240 six-speed sequential gearbox with electro-hydraulically controlled shift option. Sachs pull-type clutch.

Yeah, so basically it's 3 separately (computer) controlled electronic viscous differentials. You're going to install this on your car for how much? I gotta agree with the others that said get a WRX or an EVO. It's almost rediculous to do this yourself on a budget. You'll never get a car that ends up even remotely as reliable as, say, a stock WRX for $25k. Your Focus was most likely $12-14k, how are you going to install AWD (and 100 hp) for $11-13k and have a daily driver? That last part is the most important. A WRX is a daily driver...a $12,000 AWD mod to a focus won't even be close. Yeah, you can't afford a WRX all at once now, boo hoo. Neither can I. I'd love one to no end. Stick with what you have now and save your money...it's hard, but I've personally wasted a LOT of money modifying a car (not the focus) and now have a Discover card payment that's more than half my Focus payment. It ****ing sucks. Do the smart thing man. Think the whole thing through. What's cooler? Having an AWD Focus that almost noone else does that is in the shop constantly costing you more $$$$ getting fixed or waiting a few years and getting something production?

Dave
Ever notice the only people that say "Money isn't everything" are the ones that have plenty of it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts