Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called a local dealer looking for these plugs and he couldn't even find them in the computer. Are these things available at a dealer, or only tuner shops?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i got mine at Ford.. i dont think it is the "exact" part number but he found em..

i could check on the boxes that they came in for the exact number

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Here's the exact email I sent to my parts guy(Lincoln/Merc dealer) when I requested them a few months ago:

still need parts for this crappy Focus of mine.

You got these for me before(from an old email):"-(4) AZFS22C OR
AZFS22(F4) spark plugs. I think the first name is the old name?"

Can you still get them? If so, you can go ahead an order them. Just
let me know when they're in.
Had them for me to pick up the next day.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I'll try that, thanks.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I called again, and he can't find the AZFS22F4, but he did find AZFS22FEF4, which is a coler plug, platinum, 4 pack.

Any other ideas on how to get the coppers?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You just need a better parts place.

I can't believe how many places can't get a part when you give them the number.

What ever you do, don't tell them what kind of car / engine you have or you'll never get them.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Ok, I called again, and he can't find the AZFS22F4, but he did find AZFS22FEF4, which is a coler plug, platinum, 4 pack.

Why do you want the coppers?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aren't the copper better for me, or is it only if you have nitrous? Also, I think they might be cheaper?

I just want the colder plugs, to avoid detonation, I know that.

What ever you do, don't tell them what kind of car / engine you have or you'll never get them.
Me and a guy here at work have a running joke, because anytime you walk in looking for a non-stock part, they still ask what kind of car you have, and if you have air conditioning.

"I need these 58697382 crash bolts." "What kind of car is that for?" "A Focus, but it doens't matter, I just need those bolts." <click click click> "Does that thing have air conditioning?"

·
Registered
823 Posts
I know that nobody wants to do this but ask tom on another site or something because he gave me a good part number that I found at like 4 different dealerships, in different states.. I do think that the -F4 goes at the end of your og number..
jake

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Aren't the copper better for me, or is it only if you have nitrous? Also, I think they might be cheaper?

I just want the colder plugs, to avoid detonation, I know that.
I don't know. I would think that you would want platinum plugs if you could get them in the right heat range. A lot of guys don't like plats because they need to be read differently than coppers, but I think you have a wideband, Pectel, datalogging and the knowledge to use it, so my guess is that the ability to be read is at or near the bottom of the list of features you desire in a plug. Plats last longer, especially under tough conditions. Why use a copper?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

Why do you want the coppers?
Because we like using hard to find parts that were never designed to work on a Focus?

But seriously, can't remember the details but for some reason platinum plugs do not like boost. Or at least that's the misguided internet myth information I've been going on for the better part of four years. All I can say is that when I removed my OEM plat plugs, after only about 5k miles of boost(with some fun detonation included), they were almost gone. The AZFS22's seem to last much much longer. I've run them in the car for lengths over 20k miles with little visible wear but try to replace them every 20k anyway.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I got this info back in May:
1. AZFS22CF4
This is the original copper core plug. Still available (maybe)
2. AZFS22PPF4
This is the original double platinum "PP". Being phased out and replaced by...
3. AYFS22FMF4
Replacing the double platinum is this "fine wire" plug which I believe is an
iridium plug.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
P i have a few sets if u want me to take a pic of the box for u i will

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
the box read as this AZFS22C with a small F4 next to it,and the stock # is 463

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
It's AZFS22CF4. Tousley Steve had no problem with it, and the online OEM parts databases will actually redirect you to that part # if you omit the "F4". To see what I mean, go here:

http://www.parts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213787

In box #2, type in "AZFS22C", select "Ford" and click "Search".

This is all off the top of my head from reading the SCT Pro Racer manual almost a year ago:

Copper is for performance, and platinum is for cost savings. That's why the OEM's all use platinum now - so they can tell you to leave them in for 100,000 miles and therefore claim a lower cost of maintaining the car. SCT likens it to the disappearance of Zerk fittings for chassis lube points - once one car manufacturer went to "permantently lubed" fittings, the others followed suit, rather than explaining to customers why their cars' maintenance costs were slightly higher.

As for the spark plugs, copper conducts electricity much better than platinum, but it will "wear out" much faster. 20,000 miles on copper plugs sounds great from what I've read - I'd be happy with anything over 5,000.

I like the way SCT put it - it was something like, "Going fast costs money. Deal with it."

That's hilarious to me, since the copper plugs are dirt cheap. If I don't have 5 bucks to spend on plugs, how the hell could I afford a turbo in the first place?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
As for the spark plugs, copper conducts electricity much better than platinum, but it will "wear out" much faster. 20,000 miles on copper plugs sounds great from what I've read - I'd be happy with anything over 5,000.
The last set I took out of the car, had at least 20,000 miles on them and they truly showed almost zero wear. Contrary to the OEM plugs that at 16,000 miles (boosted at 11,000) where the electrode on all four plugs was down to 25% of its original size. I could hardly believe that the car still ran.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts