Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they the same thing? Or are they differnt, for the later mtx cars...thanks

If not the same have you guys had better luck with one over the other?

·
Registered
234 Posts
from what i was lead to believe the steeda was preffered...however, i placed an order a couple nights ago direct from steeda and they called today tellin me the price went up to 198...but the b&m is supposed to be pretty good too...

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
if you get a B&M make sure its a new one and not a used one from like the classifieds or something... unless they can prove it was made within the past year or so... I forget when they started making the revised version, but the first gen B&M's were notorious for snapping at the point where the cable attaches to the shifter. that little nubby part that sticks out that the cable attaches to, that weld would weaken and then one day "SNAP" and all the sudden your shifter falls every which way in your hand.

happened to me on a 1-2 shift one day. fortunately I was able to coast to a stop in a safe area. I would have been pissed if I was in the middle of traffic.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
if you get a B&M make sure its a new one and not a used one from like the classifieds or something... unless they can prove it was made within the past year or so... I forget when they started making the revised version, but the first gen B&M's were notorious for snapping at the point where the cable attaches to the shifter. that little nubby part that sticks out that the cable attaches to, that weld would weaken and then one day "SNAP" and all the sudden your shifter falls every which way in your hand.

happened to me on a 1-2 shift one day. fortunately I was able to coast to a stop in a safe area. I would have been pissed if I was in the middle of traffic.
I had a first gen B&M on my car for at least 2-years. Never had an issue. Just sold it today and it looks just as good as the day I bought it. There must have been a bad production batch out there...there are TONS of B&M users out there who haven't had an issue.

Back on topic, the Steeda is much different than the B&M. Think of the B&M as a billet version of a chopped stock shifter. Steeda dropped the mounting point for the linkage a bit to give a true, shorter throw shifter. Or at least that is how it was a couple years ago.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I had a B&M... it was crap, I bought it new, used it for about two days, and gave it away. It was short, way short, and that's about it. A complete waste of $ IMO.

I tried a Steeda in someone else's Focus and liked it... may buy one eventually.

·
Registered
39 Posts
HA, that sucks that the Steeda shifter is $200 now...glad I bought mine $30 ago. Anyways, I need to feel a stock shifter again to really tell the difference with the shifters. I know mine is shorter, and just looking at it you can tell. It feels real good...as far as the hardware actually being dropped, I didnt compare my old vs new...maybe I can have a look tonight.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The steeda shifter is a real short throw shifter. B&M is just a shorter stick; steeda has revised pivot points for a true short throw lever.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Had the B&M for 3 years now a tons of shifting and racing with it. Never a problem and I bought it used. Got my money out of it for sure.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Had the B&M for 3 years now a tons of shifting and racing with it. Never a problem and I bought it used. Got my money out of it for sure.
Stupid me opened my mouth and now the B&M is broken at the track. Was lucky found someone to weld it back. Oh well 4 years of racing and something had to break.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
with the '02/'05 version of the steeda, you can EASILY make your own exact copy (sans billet lockout) from the stock shifter. I'll do a write up w/pics in a few days. But if you look at the two side by side, it's clear what they did, and would be easy to copy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts