Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I got a 2002 focus, the car has focus sport headers, flex pipe and a thermal exhaust. Since I added the headers, which have no cat. Since it has no cat, I also added a cheater to prevent the check engine to come up. Now, everythin should b k but i still got the damn check enginelight.I went to ford and they told me they didn't know what it was. After a couple days, they called me back and told me the car does not have enough back pressure and that there is nothing to do about it. After talkin to ford, i went to aanother place, "Dynamic turbo" just to ask them what they thought about it, and they told me there is nuttin to do about it either...is there anyway to shut the dam check engine lite off and fix the back pressure problem
!???

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Removing the race headers will increase back pressure.

See... You removed back pressure on PURPOSE... that is the point of installing the header.. removing back pressure. It isn't a "fix" or repair to be made.

If the engine light is on, then somebody needs to read the codes and figure out which sensor is causing the issue. It could be that the cheater isn't cheating well enough to convince the ECU that the O2 sensor is really there.

"Not enough backpressure" sounds like a lame excuse to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe but is strange cuz everythin I have in my car is exactly the same thing a friend of mine had in his zx3. They r the same pieces too cuz he sold them to me, including the cheater for the headers and he never had this problem. that is why i think there is somethin wrong with my car. Plus, Ford already changed the O2 sensor cuz that is what they thought it was int he beginnin but after not even 2 days, the check engine came out again.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Ford is very poor at diagnostics.

The only way to tell what the CEL is on for is to actually read the codes.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
did they plug in the OBD II scanner even?

If they didn't ... hopefully you can still go to autozone where you live and get it read.... bring that code back and someone will know what it really means

·
Registered
321 Posts
If the CEL is on, a proper Ford service "should" know the reason even if not the solution. Because when you plug the car up to the service computer (through OBD II) your ecu tells what's wrong.

You can even read about "non-CEL" (minor) problems once the car is hooked up. I think the service you've been to is extremely lame...

I suggest you plug the car up at a decent service. It is very cheap around here (they charge sth. like $5 for hooking the car up - I use that often to see if everthing is allright

·
Registered
88 Posts
since u have the chip in there from diablosport i think that could be a problem. Also let's say ur runnin poor gas in ur car with that chip.. cel will come on. ut once again it's a ford if u know what i mean.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no cuz i don't have the chip in since a month or so
, is sittin in my garage waiting I fix this so i can put it back in. The cell code is P1405 as I wrote in the other msg I posted. I know the error computer reads, and I changed the EGR, O2 and DPFE sensor but the cel is still on...
I hope someone has some new ideas cuz I don't anymore

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the vacume hose that lugs on to the egr valve is not unplugged or anything...that is not it

·
Registered
17 Posts
you can try putting a 1 or 2 bafflers in the exhuast pipe, that will in effect create a tiny bit of back pressure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, there IS pressure, but for some reason, there is a cel, i changed the sensors so the EGR valve is the last thing that's left...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Did you connect the cheater to the lower sensor (blue) or the upper sensor (green)

It should be connected to the blue.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It's not from a lack of backpressure!
Just ask Ducman!

It's your DPFE sensor that is located by your EGR valve. There are two short hoses that stick up off the pipe leading to the EGR valve and the sensor is on those hoses.
Replace it.
Or Eliminate the EGR altogether and have Diablo turn off the CEL.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I searched but couldn't really find what I was looking for. My car threw a CEL too and my Ford dealer said it was from not enough backpressure. I ahve the cheater so I don't think that's the problem as I've had no issues with it. They reset things and everything works fine.

then the other day, my car started to stumble sub-2k rpms which, in my experience, means that my dpfe sensor is about to crap out. this will be the 3rd sensor in about as many months.

I'm wondering if there's a way to create a little "fake" backpressure in the EGR tube with a washer. I don't want to block it off completely, just create a little bit of a block so it doesn't have as much free travel. has anybody done this? and if so, please post your success story. thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am having the exact SAME PROBLEM, i had a silencer in my muffler took it out adn the next day the darn CEL comes on, is there anyway to fix this, im taking it to Auotzone tomorrow, then Im going to reset the ECU, ubt is there anything wrong with not having enough back pressure????

Brian

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
o2 cheaters do not work on every car. I went thru 3 of em and none worked. They do work on my buddie's car. I dunno why. I hated having the cel on, cause it was just a peace of mind thing to know if it came on, something could be wrong, but now I'm further down the line and have 4 reasons my cel is coming on. I'm slowly becoming one of those guys who just lives with the cel. Sucks, but til I get my chip I gotta deal. Hope you figger it out. later dood

g

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Go to autozone and start from there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts