Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...as far as exterior automotive body parts go at least, did people not paint their hoods, fenders, etc., just because it was fiberglass? It's rare to see someone paint carbon fiber, but it just seems silly. Maybe it's just because I'm not a show-car kind of guy.

"Why isn't your car painted?! It looks like crap!"

"That's not metal, it's fiberglass, the material of the future!"

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Well, the high-quality, mass-produced carbon fiber looks a hell of a lot nicer than high-quality fiberglass. I think enjoying raw carbon (in moderation) is a matter of taste, just like you might not enjoy a certain paint color. Real race teams paint all of their carbon fiber parts because:

a) it's extra space for them to put sponsor logos on, and
b) one-off, professionally-made carbon parts are a lot uglier than mass produced stuff, because they're worried about strength over looks

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I doubt it... Look at early fiberglass vehicles, they all seem to have been painted.

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts
yeah, fiberglas is ugly. CF is woven and beautiful and hightech looking.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
unpainted cf looks just as bad as unpainted fiberglass,
i would never EVER just leave cf unpainted for asesthetic reasons alone cause imo it looks liek you got into an accident and couldnt afofrd to paint the parts..

if it's tied into a paint job it works well,

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I don't like the look of CF. But I'm still planning on getting many CF exterior parts for my car; they'll all be painted.

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
i would never EVER just leave cf unpainted for asesthetic reasons alone cause imo it looks liek you got into an accident and couldnt afofrd to paint the parts..

u have a CF hood D, lol

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Fiberglass doesn't have any visual appeal. Its always been painted.

Carbon fiber has that weave look, and since (it was) expensive, people wanted to show off that they had it.

I don't like entire hoods NOT painted... just messes up the lines of the car. But, I've seen some carbon fiber hoods where they paint it partially, and its pretty pimp.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I wish manufacturers would list the weights of the products they´re selling. Most of the carbon fiber parts available are just blingtastic fiberglass with a single sheet of CF overlaid and super thick clearcoat.

My guess is the average scoop laden civic hood from APC weighs more than the entire front clip of a JGTC car.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

u have a CF hood D, lol
LOL Thats what i was just thinking.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

u have a CF hood D, lol
LOL Thats what i was just thinking.
Pay attention, folks!

He said "if it's tied into a paint job it works well". His is painted... and tied into the paint job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts