Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I go to the track for the first time with my SPI autofagot not much done to it: CAI, coil overs, and the swab. what horrible times.....18.2 was my best time. (my wife has a ZX3 auto) Now keep in mind my wifes did 17.1 total stock. I lost it in top end nothing there. I m wondering if the swab had anything to do with it? my 60' are not that bad but abything after that stinks.... Just like the rest of you money hurts plus I have a 1977 firebird project car that the money should be going to... ANY IDEAS I want atleast the 17.1 on my focus.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That auto tranny is not helping....It all depends on how seious you are. If it was up to me I'd swap in a 5 speed, lose as much weight as possible, and run some giggle gas or some form of FI. Than you beable to kick your wifes car's butt

·
Registered
860 Posts
...While its true that the auto tranny is hurting you, hers has one as well, so thats not as much of a factor...She also has more power coming from her engine...And her car is probably at least 100+ pounds lighter...

...My advice for the best increase would be to get a PZEV...
...I drive from Rochester to Buffalo 5-6 days a week, and the power is great...Especially on the thruway...Oh yeah, with a manual tranny itll run 15s stock...Youll smoke her car...

...All kidding aside, you are down by 20hp, and Im not sure how much torque...Add to that your car being heavier, and its not looking too good without some serious cash lay-down...Full exhaust with high-flow cats would be a good start (although pricey, and from what Ive heard the available SPI headers are of questionable quality) ...You arent going to get a big increase without spending at least a few hundred dollars, though...Ill second the 'giggle gas' approach...A small shot (less than 50) only...That should give you a pretty good 'bang for the buck'
...And if you ever need help turnin wrenches, just lemme know...I work cheap...

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
200 bucks will get you a head job for about 20-30 hp more. where does it end? if the answer to low hp is to get a bigger engine, then why modify anything? why get mods for your PZEV when you can get an SVT. after all, your down by 30 hp. and why work on an SVT when you can get an SRT-4. after all, your down by 30 hp. but modding an SRT-4 is dumb because you should get a WRX. cause your down by 40 hp. why start with the WRX, time to get an STI, then a vette, then a viper! on and on we go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok but one more thing guys IMO by mashing on the pedal I think it hindered me big time.....what I mean is gas to the floor the hole strip. Being an electronic controled trani do you think I could get better shifting and overall time than just mashing it? Ive noticed on the street if I back off some she seems to shift earlier and in the end gets me to a faster speed. I did not try this yet at the track but want to hear your opinions.....

Oh stick thanks for the offer but I was a mechanic for about 6 yrs and no one has ever touched my cars other than warranty work. I think I can handle whatever I decide to do but thanks for the offer...

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
theres a guy on www.teamfocus.us that did a little experiment with the ATX. he shaved .2 seconds off by blipping the throttle to make it shift at 5400 rpm.

·
Registered
860 Posts
200 bucks will get you a head job for about 20-30 hp more. where does it end? if the answer to low hp is to get a bigger engine, then why modify anything? why get mods for your PZEV when you can get an SVT. after all, your down by 30 hp. and why work on an SVT when you can get an SRT-4. after all, your down by 30 hp. but modding an SRT-4 is dumb because you should get a WRX. cause your down by 40 hp. why start with the WRX, time to get an STI, then a vette, then a viper! on and on we go.
Ok...I was not aware that a $200 head job would gain 20-30hp on an SPI...Also note that I stated that I was just messing around with him about the PZEV comment (perhaps you should read my entire post before jumping on my ass)...And actually the PZEV is only down by 22-25 hp on an SVT Focus, and we make more torque stock...Not to mention I could get 2 PZEVs for the price of an SVT and my insurance is lower...And to go with one of the others, not only would it cost more, but it would require switching to a brand I either have had quality issues with in the past (GM, Dodge), or wouldnt buy if I had the money (Subaru)...

...I still stick to the nitrous suggestion, especially if its only for the track...It is much easier than swapping a cylinder head...He is looking to make up 1.1 seconds, for what sounds like (and I dont blame him) as little money as possible...

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
I just get tired of the attitude that you should get something more powerfull. because there is always something more powerfull. And judging by your quick defense of the PZEV's capabilities vs. the SVT, you feel the same way the SPI people do. you love your car and you get defensive when you think someone is telling you to get something better. I also will admit that while I did read your entire post, I somehow missed the part where you said you were joking. sorry about that. friends?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Its mostly the autotragic. I read somewhere on the jet that auto foci run something like +/- 1 sec slower in the quater mile then manuals. A chip would help with the auto.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok took it to the track again for the last time of the year we are hitting 50s already here almost winter.....anyways

Ok before you guys dog me remember its a SPI automatic....

previous trip my best time was 18.2 and cant find the slips for the rest of the details.

RT:.597
60': 2.639
330:7.544
1/8:11.581
mph:61.32
1000:15.030
1/4: 17.959
mph: 76.82

now my first run of the night I took my buddy for a run:
rt:.621
60:2.75
1/8: 11.918
1/4: 18.434
mph: 75.31

keep in mind no weight reduction at all only thing I took out was the box. nor did I play with tire pressure and I had about a 1/4 tank more gas in it compared to last time....

MSD Ignition system was supposed to be on friday but they ordered the one for my wifes zetec which wont work on my SPI but it should be here today(monday)... I cant go this friday though

I hope with a port N Polish job over the winter (they say 40 to 50 HP on my motor) and the ignition sytem I hope will get me high 15's in which case I would be happy with........and Im keeping my eyes open for a manual swap we shall see.....So thats the deal

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you can go from a 17.9 to a 15.9 with a Port and Polish your are the SPI king.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
200 bucks will get you a head job for about 20-30 hp more
tell me where.

-chris
sorry, missed this post. Parks engine services in Seguin. any race engine shop or rebuild shop should be able to do it for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts