Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got the Falken Ziex 512's... i got 205/ 40/ 17's..... now, they're M/S rated, so i think the tall tread is bending because of the stiff suspension directs all the stress of the turn, into the tread, and the sidewalls don't seem to be very stiff either. I feel the car shifting on the tires, as i'm driving on the interstate, at the normal highway speeds. I didn't do any research on the tires. I just needed some tires that probably wouldn't rub. I had 215/45/17 Khumos 712's.....the insides were rubbing the spring perch, apparently. I guess i'll just have to wear the tread down real fast, Like AutoXing on them, that made my stock Firehawks stiffer. I bought two new Firehawks and Discount tire put them on the back for the snow season, and during a dry week, the back end of hte car would sway a lot during highway speeds, just a twitch of the steering wheel, the back would sway really bad, to the point that i would think it's dangerous for me. I put the new ones on teh front and the older ones, with about 36K miles on them, on the back. No more swaying after that. So the thick/tall tread must be one of the main factors that's causing this swaying motion. i thought the 40 series tire would help the stiffness of the tire as a whole, but not really. What do you guys think? and the tire pressure max is 50, and i have the rears at 49 or less.....i was thinking that would make the tires stiffer, but it didn't work....still swaying.... any tips?

·
Registered
964 Posts
and the tire pressure max is 50, and i have the rears at 49 or less
You are overinflating your tires causing reduced contact with the road and abnormal wear. Try reducing the pressure to 34-36 PSI and see how that works.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with the other guy. Reduce you tire pressure to normal.

I would also add don't mix tire types and don't use the firestones in the snow.

The 512's have generally been rated well by other people but I don't have much experience with them.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks guys! i'll go deflate it to about 36 or so, and then drive to work today.....hopefully it it'll be a better ride! thanks

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I too recently purchased 512's.
I'll start by referencing your thread title...
I DON'T think you've made a Bad Decision, especially if you need more than a "Summer Tire" where you live.
The "Squirm" freaked me OUT at first as well.
Keep THIS in Mind.
The reason to buy 512's is as an "All-Season" tire.
If you "Burn then Down", you've eliminated that benefit.

FIRST, I'll say, the "Squirm" DID diminish a bit w/ Medium-High Pressures.
I'll check what psi I settled with tomorrow night if I remember... I'm off to sleep tonight in just a couple minutes...
Second, the Treadblocks have VERY Squared-off Corners.
After you get a few miles on them, three things will happen...
First, the corners will round down a tick, making it a little less like Running "Track" in Hiking Boots.
Second, you will get a little more "Used to it".
Third, you'll realize that, once that squirm has happened, once they "bite", they Grip Well. "Feeling them out", they feel a little unusual, but they're All-Season Street tires.
You don't NEED to Push Them on the street and risk tickets.
In a "Steady State" corner, they grip VERY well for an "All Season"...Comparable to Decently ranked Summer Tires.
It's only on corner entry, and quick transitions left/right where you feel that "Squirm".
On the occasional backroad, once "Broken In", they will suffice very well with the right psi, AND provide All-Season Benefits. If you drive them "Aggresively", but keep it to 9/10ths, they'll serve you well, both in Touring and in Emergency Maneuvers.
I don't know about you, but I have 2 sets of Factory rims, one w/ Falken Azenis for Auto-X etc, and one for my "Daily Driver" All-Seasons.
Less wear on each, since they're application-specific.
On the Street, the only Pushing the 512's see is on Backroads w/ no Cops, and, once broken in, they make me happy, despite my initial concerns.
Just keep in mind that they're good in Rain and Snow, and, NO, they're NOT Ultra High Performance Summer Tires.
They're HIGH Performance All-Seasons.
Drive accordingly, and they'll serve you well.

BTW, I THINK the sidewalls are acceptably stiff...???
I believe the Squirm is the result of the deep tread grooves which are primarily circumferential, rather than diagonal. It's all good. Don't waste good tires trying to "Wear Of the Depth", just drive them appropriately, so they're still good for you when conditions turn worse.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
and the tire pressure max is 50, and i have the rears at 49 or less
You are overinflating your tires causing reduced contact with the road and abnormal wear. Try reducing the pressure to 34-36 PSI and see how that works.
As I mentioned above, I'll check my pressures this evening, (I just got a new guage after my last one lost a seal...psssssssssssssssssssss......), but I THINK he's on the right track w/ going w/ Fairly High pressures.
Not Necessarily THAT high, but higher than 34-36.
I could be wrong, I'll post when I see what I settled with by "Feel"(Those Gas Station guages are so Vague).

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
ok, thanks guys! i'll go deflate it to about 36 or so, and then drive to work today.....hopefully it it'll be a better ride! thanks
Report???

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just ordered some 512s to replace my Kumho 712s which i used for autox and daily driving. I was dissapointed to wear my new tires out in 10 months or about 10,000 miles so with the 512s i'm only going to use them on the street and look to get another set of stock wheels and some azenis for autox. I was looking for a tamer tire in the 512s that would give me good rain grip and offroad grip along with better wear. I'm familiar with the tread squirm feel, because the yoko geolander a/ts on my mom's f-250 do that as well. It was very disconcerting at first but now I don't notice it.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
OK, I just checked, and Warm, Not HOT, but not Cold, I'm at about 40/38 psi F/R.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts