Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have a 2000 ZX3 that has been getting worsened gas mileage over the last year or so.

the people at the ford dealership are stumped. we change the oil regularly, the tires are at the correct pressure and were balanced.

is there anything else that we're missing that could be causing this? we have been in the neighborhood of 10-15 mpg on a good day, sometimes lower.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
we have a 2000 ZX3 that has been getting worsened gas mileage over the last year or so.

the people at the ford dealership are stumped. we change the oil regularly, the tires are at the correct pressure and were balanced.

is there anything else that we're missing that could be causing this? we have been in the neighborhood of 10-15 mpg on a good day, sometimes lower.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
A friend of mine had the same problem with their '00 Focus. The dealer could never fix the problem and they ended up trading the car because their gas bill was killing them.

I would ask the dealer to replace the DPFE sensor. A failure of this sensor usually causes a Check Engine Light illumination. However, even if your CEL isn't on I would ask for it to be replaced anyway. People who have been having gas mileage problems tend to report a significant increase in mileage with a new DPFE. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try changing your fuel filter. I was experiencing the same thing myself. After changing it out, I picked up 3 mpg. That may not seem like much, but that's where I'd start.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Do everything you can possibly do in maintenance one by one if you haven't done it already. Although my mileage isn't as bad as yours it's still not very good. 240 miles to the tank. That might seem good but it's not for this car I don't think. I think Auto owners have it worse than manual transmission owners do.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Do everything you can possibly do in maintenance one by one if you haven't done it already. Although my mileage isn't as bad as yours it's still not very good. 240 miles to the tank. That might seem good but it's not for this car I don't think. I think Auto owners have it worse than manual transmission owners do.
You're right, 240 miles to a tank isn't that good. I have a 14 psi JRSC, and my mileage dropped significantly after I got it (I get into boost frequently). I still get 300 to 350 miles on a tank of gas. Of course, I should qualify that--97% of the miles I drive are expressway.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i was down to 250 miles on a full tank, replaced the o2 sensor and walla now im back upto 300 miles on a fulltank

oh ps why did this work???

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
i was down to 250 miles on a full tank, replaced the o2 sensor and walla now im back upto 300 miles on a fulltank

oh ps why did this work???
Well the O2 sensors measures something in your oncoming and outgoing air.....I don't feel like thinking right now but you have one for upstream and another for downstreadm....or I think you do and it takes measurements and your computer factors all those measurements and gives the proper amount of fuel to the injectors....If the sensor is bad it could throw off performance and mileage. Or something like that.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
A full tank only lasts about 230 miles for me! My fuel pump problem is getting bad, stalling on full acceleration, please tell me this is the problem. I have an appointment Wed to get this fixed under the extended warrenty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL, my car must really be having some problems!i am barely pulling in 200 miles to a tank on the HIGHWAY
. I am stumped...i am guessing that it has something to do with the fuel pump recall? need to get it fixed fast cuz gas is killin me
. I was wondering if any of you guys experience fluctuation in power and RPM'S when going about 30 MPH? i hold my foot steady on the throttle and the rpm's and power of my car kinda surge
. if any of you have experieced that, please let me know.
thanks
jeremy

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have had this problem as well, also I am getting around 240 to a tank of gas highway.....
I replaced the DPFE sensor, no help...I'm thinking of doing the oxygen sensors.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think I have you all beat...I don't even get 210. I also drive fast most of the time, though, so that has something to do with it. I have to get gas every 2 or 3 days. sigh.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When you say 200 a tank full, are we talking fill up, drive 200 miles and then fill up again?
How much are you putting in?
10 gallons,- 12 gallons ? or ?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
When you say 200 a tank full, are we talking fill up, drive 200 miles and then fill up again?
How much are you putting in?
10 gallons,- 12 gallons ? or ?
Yep - fill the tank till the pump clicks off and then drive until the needle is resting against the floor of the gauge.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm auto... mostly highway... only 230-240 per tank. SUX!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not exactly in the same boat as you guys, but I have an '03 auto, and I get about 270 miles to a tank. I only have 8000 miles on the car, though. Is this decent?

·
Registered
117 Posts
mine isnt as hot as it used to be. i have an 01 with a huge 85,000 on it. i go about 230 on 3/4 of a tank. averages out to be right around 25 per gallon. i have a bad driving habit of getting on the gas hard from a dead stop. i have been trying not to do that as much the past few fill up, mileage has improved slightly but with 85,000 miles i expected the mileage not to be like it was when the car was brand new. but i have done alot to try to improve the mileage, dpfe, fuel pump, fuel filter, regular tune up. only i havent done yet is the o2 sensor and have some1 check out the pipework from the egr and stuff to see if its partially clogged with carbon. hopefully when i do this, it makes an improvement

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm getting about 215 miles I'd guess before my gass light comes on. I have 2000 Auto ZTS. I got a thing in the mail about the fuel pump but I lost it so I dunno if that might be holding me back a little. However... I do tend to give it a lot of un-needed gass and I do all light city driving with next to no high way.

I wanna do a little work to the car before I call up the dealership and ask them to replace my pump.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts