Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you thought this was going to be another question, didn't ya?

actually, I wanted to let you all know that I just installed the Z-Engineering motor mount that I got off FocusSport (thanks guys - lightning speed processing!) and damn did it make a difference! for all those who are bitching about the touchy throttle for the FC TB, I would recommend getting this. You may think that they have no correlation to one another, but I am not feedin you a line when I say that my pedal was nowhere NEAR as touchy as it was before. not to mention the fact that I can easily break traction (see mods) and that when I hit that pedal, I get going without hesitation. overall, the engine just feels a helluvalot more stable and solid.

$99.95 thru focussport...

btw, the install is REALLY easy. the hardest part is getting the new mount into the bracket that attaches to the tranny. best thing to do is to remove that bracket with the mount (3 extra bolts). that way when you go to put the new mount in, it's that much easier to do. I had to use a hammer to get the damned mount into the bracket, but it wasn't very difficult.

and the vibration that some people are worried about is minimal. if you're as sensitive as I am to perks and quirks in your car, you'll feel it. but then again... how often are you really sitting at idle for a long time?

if anybody wants pics of it in, just let me know and I'll happily oblige.

[ 01-24-2003, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: speedy_zx3 ]

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
yah pics would be good... I've been considering.. but wondered exactly how it goes..

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all you need is a 13mm socket and a regular 13mm wrench. install took me *maybe* 45 minutes only cuz I had to take it back out and put it in again. I think I had it in upside down, but the instructions are kinda vague on that part. In the end, I put the "cupped" part facing UP.

about the pics - Seeing that it's almost 3am and it's wet outside, I'll have to get pics tomorrow. btw, the mount is right behind the tranny. it's one of those "look for 10 minutes and then when you see it you feel dumb cuz it's RIGHT THERE" type of things.

[ 01-24-2003, 04:59 AM: Message edited by: speedy_zx3 ]

·
Registered
411 Posts
I wish someone would just break down and buy me one of these things!!!

I have been wanting to do this mod for like 6 months...hahaha

I gotta get me one of those.

·
Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
Originally posted by YelloZX3SA:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well you can get the Prothane or Energy Suspension ones if you don't have the cash for the Z-engineering one. I think that they are like $20 shipped through Tony D.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The z mount really makes the car feel solid.It does add a little vibration at idle.Second gear takeoffs are smooth and this thing does put the power down! I had to shave the spacer that goes to the trans mount,just felt too tight to force in. Instructions could have said to unbolt the trans mount to make the job easier.Other than the small fitment problem,this part is a good piece.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry it took so long, people, but you'd damned well better be thankful > I took these during the superbowl...

left side showing bracket

bottom view

right side view showing bracket. also have arrows showing the bolts to remove

on the large end of the mount, there are 2 different sides. I put the mount in so that the "cupped" side is UP.

for 4 of the bolts, you'll need a 13mm socket wrench. to remove the bolt on the FAR RIGHT in the picture you'll need a 13mm open/box-end wrench as there's a bracket in the way for the cat/flex joint so the socket is impossible to get in there. DON'T FORGET TO SUPPORT THE TRANNY SOMEHOW BEFORE YOU TAKE THE BOLTS OUT it's not gonna fall and kill you, but it'll make it easier to get the bolts (and thus, the mount) out and back in.

the instructions say to torque the bolts to 35lb/ft. I just tightened until I couldn't turn anymore... but that's me.

I highly recommend this part. it's made a big difference in my driving as I can just tell it's working. also, at high-rpms, the engine doesn't seem to be as unpredictable or shakey. I hope these pics help!

[hunched over with evil grin, rubbing hands] my precious... precious.... now, where's the little sister I've heard about? [/hunched over with evil grin, rubbing hands]

[ 01-26-2003, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: speedy_zx3 ]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Originally posted by YelloZX3SA:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">www.mcnewsautomotive.com has them for like $17.00 plus shipping. That is where I got mine from.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by zetecinside:
www.mcnewsautomotive.com has them for like $17.00 plus shipping. That is where I got mine from.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if you notice, those are just the inserts. you can also get them at www.newedgeperformance.com. the part I bought from focussport was the entire unit. while you can save money just buying the inserts, I wanted the option to keep my stock part intact and not worry about destroying the bushings trying to swap them out.

[ 01-28-2003, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: speedy_zx3 ]

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have one of these in and i love it the vibration thing is not the worst but i love it i had to take out the metal spacer in the tranny part and grind it down a little to get it to fit in comfortably. you do not have to remove the three extra it is just too much work
just remove the two bolts and you will be fine.
but do grind down the spacer it helps alot trust me

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
is the mount upside down??

just axing....dont really know.

There is a cupped side to the mount if I am correct....that should go on the bottom!!

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that's the way I had it at first, but then I noticed that the cupped part doesn't seem to sit right that way. so I switched it so that the cup sits upward. to each their own - I don't think it makes a difference.

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts
Cool review Trevor
I want one now!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts