Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i was wondering what mod i could do within the 600$ or less would be best for a stock Zx3 which could give me the most hp/$.

Note that i have a k&n short ram intake.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Diablo Chip, Under Drive pulleys

·
Registered
212 Posts
Diablo Chip, Under Drive pulleys

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't agree with the chip now.... You should get first a good number of mods and after that a CUSTOM BURNED Chip to go with them(u won't regret it
... With 600 bucks with I were u....hmmm... I would get a Apex i cat back and UDP kit from FC. U wanna start from the beginning to get more out of our parts in the future... After that some headers maybe... Then u can START thinking about the Chip(personal opinion). But if you want power and fast no matter what, then go for the pulleys and chip or cat-back and chip.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
if auto, consider chip early

if 5spd, consider catback, flex, and pulley(s). also have some1 or diy port work on ur stock TB.

questions welcome,

-Ult

·
Registered
294 Posts
A good rule of thumb is to start with I/H/E on a car. Throw the pulley in there too, that's a cheap mod that gives some really impressive gains. Then go after the cam gears and from there you can choose whatever route you want. With just those you should be right around 135-140whp. That's a pretty good amount of power. Make sure you get good quality parts too. As far as I/H/E i'd recommend

AEM CAI, Focus Sport 4-1 race header with flex pipe, and Apexi WS Exhaust.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
all i have is a sort run intake with a filter. i payed 199.99 for it and i wish i would have saved my money. i have heard a lot about adjustable cams, TB, and a chip for an auto!!
if it was me i would get adjustable cams then 65 mill TB and 70 mill MAFS. then i would get the svt exhaust to keep the o2s's otherwise i would get an aftermarket race header. or i would talk to turbo tom (i alredy have) and get his turbo setup. less than $6,000 for a whole lot of good stuff. you can talk to him and he can tell you himself what you get!

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts
So far I have a UDP, K&N filter and custom Magnaflow cat-back. Much better over stock but lots of room for growth. I'm thinking of going with an intake next along with a shorty header. Just my $.02
Oh yeah, I also have Drew's intake resonator mod goin

[ 11-26-2002, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: robbyracer ]

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'd say get the underdrive pulley (always number one), then air intake, catback, and header.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow i wasn't expecting so much nice advice!!!
But i have a few, if not a lot of questions on the advice given. Mostly its the terminoligy i don't understand.

Questions:

#1: what does an under drive pulley and how much gain could expect?
#2: Whats an UDP Kit from FC, and how much hp gain could i expect ocne again?
#3: whats a flex?
#4: for the cat-back i'm looking for somethign LEGAL which means i want to keep a Cat on the car, but i want something with 0 or very little noise. Which do you recommend?
#5: finaly is the header sold on www.focussport.com any good?
#6: whats a 60mil TB and a 70 MFTA or something

Thank u so much once again for all the help guys!!

[ 11-27-2002, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: blackbeard700 ]

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by blackbeard700:
Wow i wasn't expecting so much nice advice!!!
But i have a few, if not a lot of questions on the advice given. Mostly its the terminoligy i don't understand.

Questions:

#1: what does an under drive pulley and how much gain could expect?
#2: Whats an UDP Kit from FC, and how much hp gain could i expect ocne again?
#3: whats a flex?
#4: for the cat-back i'm looking for somethign LEGAL which means i want to keep a Cat on the car, but i want something with 0 or very little noise. Which do you recommend?
#5: finaly is the header sold on www.focussport.com any good?

Thank u so much once again for all the help guys!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1)Under drive pulley is a crank pulley that replaces your heavy ass stock crank pulley with a light weight one to free up horsepower due to the quicker spin rate..you can expect about 4HP to the front wheels with this mod..

2)UDP kit from FC includes a water pump pulley and a alternator pulley along with the crank pulley and it retains the stock belt...its about the same power gain..I say just go with an AFX UDP from www.newedgeperformance.com so that you dont have to mess with taking the alternator pulley apart..

3)A felx pipe is a piece of your exhaust system that connects your cat convertor to your exhaust system. If you get a race header it will connect your race header to your exhaust system as the headers are long tube and will replace the cat.

4)Well the cat-back DOES keep the cat..evey exhaust does..Its when you replace the header that determines weather it keeps the cat or not..The Bosal Exaust is really quiet and has a nice tone...and does have an option for a scilenece which will make it almost unnoticible..

5)Yes the headers sold on Focussport.com are of excellent quality..keep in mind the "shorty header" does not give you nearly as much HP as a race header but DOES keep the stock cat..so it willbe legal..The Race Header is illegal,loud, and illegal..but the power it gives will not be matched!the cat is a major restriction on our cars..

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
1. UDP underdrives the accessories that run off the belt. water pump, alt, ac, etc. underdrivin these frees hp thats sapped by the accessories. these pieces have been proven on many cars b/c those accessories have a large window of operation thus u wont have 2 fret about ur chargning system not puttin out enuff unless u have a big system in the back. dont focus solely on hp. but it'll free up a couple ponies up on top mostly. somethin that will benefit u as ur mods increase.

2. same thing, just 1 manufacturer, they have 3 pieces, a udp (or crank pulley), a h2o pump pulley (oversized 2 underdrive that), and an alt pulley (same size just lighter). many dont even bother w/the alt pulley b/c there's not much 2 gain and its very hard 2 install. u'll get pretty close 2 the same results w/those.

3. flex=flexpipe, but i'll explain that more in #4

4. while some states give u crap 4 louder than stock exh systems (md is 1 of em), a catback system doesnt involve the removal of the cat. stock catback exhaust is really a misnomer but its the biz lingo. ur system as it is laid out right now is.

stock catback exhaust/flexpipe/stock cat/stock "shorty" header

addin a catback exh and a flexpipe will greatly improve ur car's sound (based on which 1 u get) and performance, and loox 2 an extent. u'll still have the stock header and cat in place.

5. there r a couple of headers sold by focussport. 1 is a race header which goes in place of the stock header and the cat. sounds like u dont want this 1. the shorty header they sell can b use in ur application and is a nice header. however, look into other areas of bolt-ons b4 u buy a shorty header. get all the bolt-ons u want, maybe a chip, then go purchase a shorty header and cam sprockets at the same time, install both, then head 2 a dyno shop where u will have it tuned out 4 u.

good luck and welcome!

questions welcome,

-Ult

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
Just a lil quicker than me again Vince!!! lol

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yes yes...just like the 1/4 mile....

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just one thing: if you ever plan to add a supercharger than don't use an UDP. That would spin the sc pulley slower causing less boost.
Other than that, welcome to the Jet. Lots of people will help you with advice learned the hard way, just watch out for the a**h***s who argue
with anybody. Remember Confusius say "Man who constantly look for pissing contest regret the day
when wind change in his direction".

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok thanks once again you guys have cleared up some confusion. so its the Header-->Cat-->flez-->flasecat-->exaust

if that is correct thats why i was so freacken confused about where in gods name the cat was located.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
shorty header/cat/flex/catback

or

shorty header/ORP/flex/catback

or

shorty header/highflow cat/flex/catback

or

race header/flex/catback

ORP=off road pipe, mind u some people have grafted a cat into the flexpipe, however very few, and still its not legal in most if not all states b/c the cat has been relocated

-Ult

1 - 20 of 34 Posts