Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Inheritly Sinister
14,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I'm building a SF car, but I'm sure some of you guys have wired in a battery kill switch in a Duratec Focus, so I was wondering how you did it. With the COP setup, it looks a little trickier than the usual cut-power-to-the-coil type setup.

Plus, what brand kill switches are you guys using?

Thanks!

· Registered
208 Posts
On my duratec, I cut the wire going to the main ignition fuse, and spliced into a generic 6 pole switch (what i had in the garage), but for my application a 4 pole would have worked.

I didn't figure out how to dump the alternator, etc - but figure that the switch gets used maybe once or twice a year at annual tech - so the alternator would be fine.

I'm sure there's a better solution out there, but this one worked. I *think* that Leo does the same on his cars, but instead he tapped into the wires coming off the ignition switch.

He has the kill switch on the roll cage, whereas mine is in the engine bay with a pull cord to activate it. YMMV

· Registered
503 Posts
On mine the switch has a circuit to dump the power from the alt to protect the circuit. Has worked fine for about 3 years, the alt has incurrered more damage from the header as a heat source where its located. That's no fun to change at the track but we do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.