Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone done it? any tips? pictures? good stories?

heh

·
Registered
30 Posts
havent done it on my focus yet but on my 69 camaro i did it-just make sure u have a very good ground-summit sells a generic kit that is for relocating a battery to the trunk-for like $60-90 i think-isnt hard at all

·
Banned
10,374 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car has a 63/37 f/r weight balance.... moving 20-30 pounds to the back is a GOOD THING.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by sh0velman:
the car has a 63/37 f/r weight balance.... moving 20-30 pounds to the back is a GOOD THING.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ideally, you want LESS weight, even more than you want to relocate it. The move to the rear adds a fair bit of cabling weight, (If done properly).
Most of those who have done it now advocate simply using one of the lightweight batteries, turned 90deg, and dropped down lower on the fenderwall. It'd be nice to have a lightweight in the rear, but once again, there's the cabling.
I've asked this exact question myself, and this was the consensus.

[ 12-31-2002, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Why the hell would you do this? Don't you want the weight on the front tires being that this is a front wheel drive car? Or is this a cornering thing?

·
Registered
407 Posts
http://www.gotbatteries.com/Productpage.asp?ProductNum=0769-2007&AddOn01=PSC-122000A&AddOn02=PSC-124000A&AddOn03=PSC-124000AP&AddOn04=&AddOn05=

This link is for a Hawker gel cell. It weighs 13.5 lbs and goes for $69.95. You can drop it in the std battery box w/some foam spacers and drop almost 25lbs. If you really want to get fancy you can make a custom box and mount it anywhere you want. The battery can be installed in any orientation. I would not make one out of steel like that one and add 5-8lbs back on after spending money on a lightweight battery. The hard part is that you'll need to find some battery post adaptors or do like I did and redo the cables w/ eyelets. I've been using one for about 6mos and have had no problems.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
The adapters can be bought for $12 a set. They come with the Dynabatt, and may come with some of the other similar competitors (something to take into account when price shopping).

Mine is WAAAAY overbuilt steel piece (because the labor and material was free thanks to a buddy at work) but is still just under 3.5lbs (don't think you could make one 8lbs if added lead shielding.

Use aluminum though, as it really doesn't have to be that strong to support the light battery. You can use the stock cabling too, just need to relocate the ground point. And put some foam tape on the back of the battery bracket so that it doesn't vibrate against the back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts