Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one and it has given me the sticky throttle blues.I've got the idle problem to a minimum now but have to figure out if the problem is just limited to a sticky or too tight throttle plate,or some of the emissions related components that regulate the idle.It would seem that the BBK idle problem acts more unpredictably than just a tight throttle plate.I have searched and read about every post about the FC TB and have noticed most everyone messes with the set screw, some with the TPS and some with the idle air control. I have'nt checked my TPS voltage but have't triggered a CEL so that should be checked anyway.
The most recent thing I did was to cap off the EGR valve vacuum line and that has seemed to smooth out driveability a bit.

Any experiences?

·
I'm bringing Zetec back...
3,345 Posts
I just put mine on today and it got stuck once on the way home. Curious to know if anyone has the answer to this?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, after I put my BBK on with the supplied gasket... I

1) guessed that I had a sticking throttle plate and took it back off and tried to see where it might be sticking... nothing.

2) put it back on and had the bright idea that the TPS needed some "lube" (don't laugh... ok you can laugh)... I sprayed some lithium grease inside before I really looked at it and thought about it... oops... I soaked the conductors with grease... needed a new TPS.

3) pulled it off again and used blue form-a-gasket stuff and trashed the cardboard gasket... NOW THAT WAS THE TICKET!

Since I put it on with a bead of the blue stuff on the parts that mate up... no problems! smooth running ever since! (that is, after I replaced the TPS).

Does that help? The "gasket" they supply sucks... use the liquid gasket method.

·
I'm bringing Zetec back...
3,345 Posts
I will try what you have mentioned. I traveled to the West Coast for two weeks, and had the tranny out of my Focus for nearly two months so I have yet to re-install my BBK. I am dynoing on Nov. 22nd, so I hope this will work for me too. The difference these things make in throttle response is rediculous!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts