Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to replace my wheel bearings. been reading some posts, still blurry. if i get new knuckles in front do they come with bearings? also, do new drums (which i need), come with bearings, or do i need to get the hubs also (rear)?

·
Registered
486 Posts
i want to replace my wheel bearings. been reading some posts, still blurry. if i get new knuckles in front do they come with bearings? also, do new drums (which i need), come with bearings, or do i need to get the hubs also (rear)?
You can get new knuckles with bearings already pressed in together with hubs. Make sure to specfiy if ABS equipped since the ABS bearings have a ring, and the knuckle, a hole for the sensor.
For the drums, you can get them with bearings but you don't need the hubs since they slide in and are tightened with the axle nut. If ABS equipped, definitely get new rings for your drums or you will be reusing the old ones.

The first time I replaced bearings, I did not get the knuckles replaced. Instead, I only bought new bearings for the fronts. I took my knuckles and new bearings into a Midas auto shop. Big mistake. Not only did they bend one knuckle in the press, but they forgot to put the retaining rings back on. I paid 90 bucks originally. They gave me a a junkyard knuckle and bearing (they would not give a new one!
). The bearings on this one failed 3 months later, and the other one, a couple weeks later. I would definitely buy new knuckles and hubs instead of pressing them in by an amateur shop unless you know or are a good mechanic. It is more expensive in the short run but will save you money on the long run.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts