Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thumbing back through the last issue of "Focus FAnatic" magazine and a question came to mind. On two pages, one has a picture of a Zetec and on the oppisite page is a Duratech. Anyway, I was looking at the picture of the Zetec motor and noticed all the red tubing, it doesn't look like traditional split loom to me, does anyone know what it might be called??? I've tried finding something on Ebay but the only thing that comes up is corrigated split loom, which I don't want. I think that the D20 culd stand a little clean up work. I am also open to other suggestions.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Are you thinking of silicone tubing? It comes in lots of colors. Usually it's used for vacuum hoses and such, but it could probably work as a wire loom.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
No they sell that "wire loom" cheap plastic stuff in colors at auto stores
I think I even saw it at Wal-Mart

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The silicone hose is it. Thank you. Any other engine dress up ideas??? I know that they make billet oil & PS caps.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Cosworth makes a carbon fiber valve cover. But, it's pricey, not yet released, and may not work on our tranverse application.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Hey, z,

For what it's worth, none of that stuff looks any good to me.

What I find appealing about an engine bay is when it's clean. Hoses should be black, and the wires covered in factory shielding; which in this case is the black corrugated split-tubing.

What would make an amazing difference in a true hotrod style is to literally re-route most of the injector and coil wiring on top of the cam cover.

Billet aluminum caps and stuff are nice by themselves, but look out of place on cast aluminum... blue hoses look out of place when most other items under the hood are black or aluminum.

Now this is just my opinion, and of course you should do what you want, but experienced engine guys are attracted to cleanliness and a factory appearance; again, if we could only route the wiring in a sanitary fashion...

I would do it, but the car would be down for a few days because I take forever to do a clean mod.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Yeah, a zip tie is a fine mod.

But, rice or not, real carbon fiber gets my juices flowing. Mmm...

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
When the warantee is up, I'm tearing into that rat's nest of an engine bay & rewiring the crap out of it. I asked about that here a long time ago I think, and the best intelligent response I got was that if you do that & have an electrical problem it could be a major pain in the ass to trace & the dealership might not be much help- and would laugh hysterically at you for trying to make any type of a warantee claim.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Cough, Zetec, cough.

·
Registered
792 Posts

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Cough,
I think that the D20 culd stand a little clean up work. I am also open to other suggestions.
(from the ORIGINAL post.)

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Cough, Zetec, cough.
Cough, 120+ stock whp, cough.
*cough*more like 115whp stock*cough*

Anyways, got that out of my system. I think the colored looms and hoses is kinda cool, but your probably not going to have your engine open a whole lot, and if you do or yours is a show car, it may be worth it in your eyes. I say if you want to do it, go for it. Just at least try to color coordinate the damn things. Don't do a red car with blue looms. That stuff makes me want to vomit.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Wow, subliminal product placement has now hit the Jet. How sad.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I was commenting on your suggestion that a clean engine is a beautiful engine. Most of the really drool-worthy Duratecs are the dedicated race cars, where the only "cosmetic" mods are zip-ties to keep the wiring out of the way.

Just ignore me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw an ad for F2 Performance and they listed a Duratec engine cover, one sheet metal and a carbon fiber. Has anyone actually seen one yet??? It's not on they're web site.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts