Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what, exactly, the benefits of urethane front sway bar bushings are. It seems to me that it should help turn-in a little, but I have a very simplified view of how suspensions work. Is it basically the same as stiffening the front bar just a little?

As a sidenote, I'm looking for a way to dial out a bit of my car's oversteer during heavy braking. I love the way it handles normally, but it gets a little squirrely when slowing. Is there any easy solution to this? (besides "don't use the brakes"
)

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
since you mentioned the front sway bar bushings... i felt obligated to mention that f2 performance has a kit for roughly ~$120 or ish.

it consist's of poly bushings and also upgraded endlinks to the front struts. I'm curious about the change in handling characteristics, but it seems that they like this kit rather than swaping for a larger front swaybar.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
F2's front sway bar kit only gives you the urethane bushings and the adjustable end links. We don't believe that changing the front sway bar will be cost effective, so we just make the one you have a little better. Price for both $125.00 ($85.00 for endlinks, $40.00 for bushings)
http://www.f2focus.com/phpwcms2/index.php?_hn2&osCsid=

what springs do you have right now? I suppose higher rates have a greater affect on oversteer. someone can correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's all in the sig.

I'm running full SVT suspension, with polyurethane rear sway bar endlinks. And the F2 kit looks nice, but it's so expensive! New Edge has urethane bushings for $13, which means F2 is selling $110 endlinks, which provide no real street benefit.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Stock front sway bars have flat spots where the bushings match perfectly. They keep the bar from sliding from left to right and possibly add some type of torsion effect to the bar.

Keep this in mind when buying aftermarket bushings for stock bars. Look for the flat spots. Circular designs are what they used to make and did not fit correctly.

Not sure if there is an aftermarket sway bar that incorporates the flat spots.

The stock sway bar design is well thought out with the flat spots.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
You can try to use some hoseclamps as collars (usually not enough room for true collars) if there is any left-right movement within the bushing. I have urathane bushings up front and have for a long time without any problems at all (knocks on wood).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts