Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let me know cause i want to get them soon lata.

------------------
Watcha gonna do? When the ZX3 pulls up beside you????????????????

REMEMBER WHEREVER YOU GO THERE YOU ARE.:)LOL HAHA

·
Registered
390 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CTZX3:
Unorthodox Racing makes the best cam gears, but are pricey too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What exactly makes them better then the Esslinger or Kent gears?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I keep seeing Esslinger for cam gears and UPD being tossed around, so they must be good.

------------------
2000 Focus Kona
5 Speed Fun!
Bane

·
Registered
390 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CTZX3:
Unorthodox makes them perfectly balanced, better than anyone else, this i am told thru several large race shops.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to say that sounds like a BS story to try and justify the higher cost. All the cam gears out there are machined using CNC equipment. The whole reason, or advantage of CNC machining is that every part comes out identical and perfect in every way. What exactly are they balancing?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Billet is the same as Esslinger all are billet Aluminum.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
I'm just relaying what i have been hearing, not that I would pay for them.

Everything (cam gears, UDP, flywheels) must be perfectly balance. Look what happens when you have a out of balanced wheel on your car....vibration.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The esslinger cam gears use 12 point head bolts to adjust and hold the settings. They are more durable than the ones that use allen head bolts.

If you have old esslinger adj. cam gears with allen head bolts, they can send you the new bolts.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm just relaying what i have been hearing, not that I would pay for them.

Everything (cam gears, UDP, flywheels) must be perfectly balance. Look what happens when you have a out of balanced wheel on your car....vibration.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct, they do need to be balanced, but being balanced isn't a characteristic of only the Unorthodox stuff. Just by virtue of the high quality machining the parts come out balanced. Unorthodox doesn't do anything different than the other manufactures. If they did you would see the signs of balancing like squiggee mentioned, either removal or addition of material to balance the part. Just like adding weights to your wheel, to use your analogy.

I haven't heard of anyone complaining that thier UDP and cam gears are vibrating.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Unorthodox makes them perfectly balanced, better than anyone else, this i am told thru several large race shops.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Chris but I think someone fed you a line of BS. They would loose money balancing every single cam gear. Have you actually seen the gears? I have and the ones I saw had not even the smallest scratch(ie. removal or addition of weight for balancing purposes) on them that would show balancing.

PowerFocusZTS is right. CNC machines are known for their repeatability. That's what makes them so valuable to a machine shop. I should know because I spend 11 1/2 hours a day around them. I set up and run these things for what seems like forever everyday.

Squig

------------------
Team FocalJet: SR
Team SR Moderator
2001 Twilight Blue Clearcoat Metallic ZX3
Mods: 30% Tint w/ 43% Fully Tinted Windshield, AEM Intake, Wrapped Front Markers, Eyelids, Euro Grills, Eibach Pro-Kit 1.2" drop, Eibach Front and Rear Sway Bars, Esslinger U/D Pulley, Koni Yellow Adjustables, B&M Short Shift, KKM Wing, 205/45/16 Yokahama Paradas, Magnaflow Exhaust, Kent Adjustable Cam Gears, Kent Timing Belt
www.engineered.net www.epdyno.com
The Ron Jeremy of FocalJet
IM at squiggee2000

"Your car looks like a Honda wannabe." "That's because it's everything Hondas wannabe"

·
Registered
481 Posts
The best cam gears are free cam gears

Which happens to be this month's myFordFocus.com prize from Ford Racing...

BTW, and most you already know this, but for the newbies.... the Ford Racing Cam Gears are Esslinger with the Ford Racing badge. So good enough for Ford Racing, good enough for me

------------------
Ray
2001 ZX3 Owner
[email protected]
Win Performance Products from Ford Racing
On Sale Now: myFordFocus.com and myZX3.com Decals
Buy Performance Products from the myFordFocus.com NOPI Store

·
Registered
74 Posts
the reason they are so pricey (unorthodox cam gears) is becuase they are made out of billet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red4drTuner:
the reason they are so pricey (unorthodox cam gears) is becuase they are made out of billet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just some useless knowledge:

Billet is nothing more than a chunk of aluminum or any other metal. It is a solid, raw, unfinished piece of material. Some people think that it is some great mystery metal. It is only stating the difference between having something made from solid, stronger, raw material as opposed to having it made from cast material.

As far as the balancing aspect, Yes all rotational pieces should be balanced, but it's not a matter of the weight and thickness(as it would be in a tire/wheel setup), it's a matter of concentricity. Basically the hole that passes thru the center of the part should have an equal distance to the outer edge of the part. If that somehow runs out of tolerance then you would have an out of balance part.

Class dismissed!!!

Squig

·
Registered
997 Posts
i like my AEM cam gears because they are red and shiny!

------------------
oo pitch black zx3
fs cool flo intake
dual dtm exhaust out the middle
AEM cam gears
red bumper and grill lenses
leather interior
superwhites
bumpin system
http://home.talkcity.com/ThePits/focice/zx3steve14.html

·
Registered
375 Posts
Dusting off an old thread. Have a chance to get a pair of UnOrthodox Racing Cam Gears for $212 new. I know there has been problems with their UDP's in the past, but haven't heard anything bad about the cam gears. Fire away gentlemen!!

[ 01-02-2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: 1BadEgg ]

·
Registered
217 Posts
1badegg,

Clue me in, what were the problems with the Unorthodox Racing UPD's in the past?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Fidanza cam gears here

189$ from new edge performance

Great quality, good looking and for the price they can't be beat

·
Registered
375 Posts
Originally posted by CamsMach:
1badegg,

Clue me in, what were the problems with the Unorthodox Racing UPD's in the past?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Was doing some reading in other Compact sites. Guess there was a balance issue, but only with a batch of the UDPs. They got it corrected. If you have them and the engine is not vibrating, you should be cool.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts