Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello jetters,

Anyone know what seems to be the best bang for the money with the intake on the svt?

I upgraded to a k&n drop in back in 02 and I was thinking I should change to something else to pick up some batter performance.

Is this worthy of doing?
Will I notice some better performance with a certain intake?

if so ....Which is the best one or are there a few with the same gains but one is better for the money?

Thanks for your time and information yo,
Peter

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try a forum search. There are a million of these topics floating around.

·
Registered
937 Posts
For the most part a search can yield valuable results, but since you are new, here it goes. First, with any intake whether it is a cold air intake or a short ram, you will see gains. Now, do not be mislead by what you see in a most magazines or on various ads. On avg. you will see gains of anywhere between 1-3 HP overall, and about the pick up in TQ. The numbers will vary however, but that's about the avg. Cold air intakes are great because they suck in a cooler ambient air charge, but the downfall with them is that if you live in an area where it rains alot, you stand the chance of hydrolocking, or sucking water into your motor. IMO, while the air is going to be a bit warmer, short ram intakes are will be your best bet. There are various companies out there that produce them....AEM, K&N, Cartech, and Steeda just to name a few. I have a Cartech and I am very pleased with it. It is much cheaper in price than the rest, but it is a quality piece. It really comes down to how much you want to spend I guess you can say.

·
Registered
104 Posts
well my steeda SVT short ram is on the way, and I have seen the dyno of 10 horsepower gained and that sounds good to me

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Get the cheapest one you can find, there wont be one or two HP difference between them and the expensive ones

·
Registered
937 Posts
10 HP..................

I really hope you didn't order it because they claim 10 HP. You might gain that much at the motor, but not to the wheels where it really counts. Like I said, don't be fooled by ads stating they picked up a tremendous increase in power. Most of the time, the cars they test have other mods that were added, or in some cases I have seen cars that had adustable cam gears, but lets be honest.....which part is yielding the power? With that said, I am not dogging you for buying a Steeda, but you could have probably saved yourself some money by investing into something less expensive, same quality, and equal amount of power.

·
Registered
584 Posts
well my steeda SVT short ram is on the way, and I have seen the dyno of 10 horsepower gained and that sounds good to me
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but there's no way your going to see 10HP gain from a short ram intake. Every manufacturer claims more gains than they actually deliver in the real world. You'll be lucky to see 1-2HP on an SVTF. You might see a modest gain but will you actually feel the difference? A short ram is still sucking in hot air from the engine bay, so if your going to bother installing an air intake I would go with a real CAI. At least your drawing in cold air and might actually feel the performance gains the CAI would yield...

·
Registered
426 Posts
i like my K&N Aircharger.

Sells for $240ish on EBAY, lil bit pricier than an AEM CAI. IONO, IMO it has more than satisfied me. Its the only intake I've ever boughten.

·
Registered
751 Posts
A short-ram intake is going to work better or not so well based on:

-is it really lower-restriction than the stock one

-does it have a heat shield

-does the car have a larger throttle body to take advantage of the lower-restriction intake

People say that a short-ram intake is worth 1-3 hp and that a 65mm throttle body is worth maybe 2 hp, but the fact is that neither one is going to reach full potential unless both are used. Both are "the bottleneck."

·
Registered
426 Posts
the K&N Aircharger and FS Coolflow are practically the samething I heard, not sure since they have different tubing

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I actually liked my used AEM cai i got, was much better take off than the stock box.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i have a $120 ebay CAI that came with a K&N filter and it great

·
Registered
495 Posts
After hearing the Steeda SRI I think those are sweet. I'm running the K&N Typhoon with the F/C throttle body, I'm pleased. Like people have mentioned there are no gains in HP worth mention but the combo makes driveability more appreciable. Better throttle response, improved idle, completely kick ass sound. So in order I'll list what I would buy with my own money if I were in the market for one again:

K&N Aircharger
Steeda SRI
K&N Typhoon

* I'm not a fan of Pipercross so it was on purpose that I didn't list them

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So yesterday I checked my drop in k&n to see if it needed cleaning and WTF?

I found myself looking at a motorcraft airfilter!
Someone either snaked it or threw it away in an oilchange?
That pissed me off...I hadn't checked it in the last 20,000 miles so can't really point fingers at anyone cause it could be someone at three different shops.

Anyway, I want to pick up a new intake in the next couple of days and trying to find the best deal worthy of getting.

anyone come across a good deal on an intake recently?

Thanks for all your help,
Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
well im new and i have a problem here in my city , its rains a lot , and when it rains a lot the water starts to go up to a really big size , and when its not raining its really hot , what sould i get a cai or a short ram air filter its oks for me ???

·
Registered
177 Posts
if you're worried about hte water then just get a short ram

·
Registered
224 Posts
Where did you find the Cartech Intake, I've searched everywhere and can not find anything on it. A little assistance would be great, thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts