Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read here very resently that if you get the crower stage II intake and keep the stock exaust cam that you get a greater hp gain. Up to 10hp more then if you got the crower stage II exaust cam as well.
is this true? or which combo gives you the highest gain.
Brent

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thats bull**** there is no way...
the e/i ratio has to be around 90% for it to make less power then the exhaust cam.. with the stock exhaust cam and stock head no port work the car would be around 73-70 percent ratio and that does not work for topend power. And further more on any exhaust cam change you would be hard pressed to see 10 hp
especially from only changing 1 set of lobes. and to a smaller set of lobes at that... bigger is better when it comes to horsepower and cams.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Peak horsepower is higher with Stage 2 crowers, however you lose a LOT of low end torque with Stge 2.

Keeping the stock exhaust cam is a nice solution, however I don't like the idea that I have to use pliers to restrain the cam while tightening the bolt.

Crower cams have a large "hex" where you can use an open box wrench to keep the cam from turning while tightening the cam gears. Stock cams do not.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
Peak horsepower is higher with Stage 2 crowers, however you lose a LOT of low end torque with Stge 2.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">and i assume youve had them to be able to make this broad statement right?

Crower stage 2's are GREAT all around cams, they make GREAT top end, great midrange...

TRUE a CRANE stage 2 cam will make a bit more midrange torque, but no where near as much top end.

Stage 2 crowers arent as huge as you people think, you can start talking BIG when you get up to stage 4/race crower and higher, stage 2 is mild by cam standards.

I love my stage 2s. Ive experienced stage 2 cranes as well, yes, more midrange, a tad bit, but alot less top end.

Howerver, i would NEVER say you LOSE tons of lowend with them.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Originally posted by nazthug:
Crower stage 2's are GREAT all around cams, they make GREAT top end, great midrange...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">please notice that he said you lose low-end and your response stated that the crower's make great mid- and high-end. basically, you just ragged him for possibly being wrong, and then you've almost confirmed what he was saying. he mentioned nothing about mid- or high-end gains or losses...

[ 01-26-2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: speedy_zx3 ]

·
I can do no WRONG
1,356 Posts
Naz, Travis and all.....

Post some damn dynos!! Naz, I know you have been on the Dyno, seen dynos have access to peoples numbers. I am pretty disinterested in top end horsepower I am interested in "area under the curve", I just want a very drivable car, I don't want to have to rev like crazy to find some power.

Lastly, Naz, didn't you use the Esslinger intake cam for a while with the stock exhaust? How does that grind comare to the stage II Crower? I would gladly give up a little top end for a flatter torque curve.

Travis, I am sure your numbers are dead on, but I doubt that calculations can accurately model the intake and exhaust flow of a head. Too damn many variables..... Are you aware of any oddities like this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts