Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a few different questions.

what is the best performance gain for your money?

what is the best hp gain for your money?

what is the best handling gain for your money?

so basically, whats best overall. and then what is best in each category. i'm tryin to get a list of products and prices together.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
APEX suspension (springs and dampers).. or any matched setup. Best change in feel of car for the price.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
can't beat a new high performance air intake filter, e.g. k&n. best gains for comparatively little money.

·
Registered
232 Posts
even with your different categories, that's still a broad question with many good answers.

here's my list for my favorite first mods to my ZTS 5sp:

ported stock throttle body - $6 for improved throttle response is pretty good.

UDP - I have the FC UDP & water pump pulley installed for $109 ( UDPs are on everyone's bang for the buck list )

For handling, it's hard to beat the SVT springs/dampers/rear bar setup with prothane endlink bushings all for $400 ( shipping incl )

·
Registered
561 Posts
Esslinger UDP and my Diablo chip. those two things really help my cars performance.

·
Registered
302 Posts
what is the best performance gain for your money?

Join SCCA and get involved in motor sport. An experienced driver can beat a driver with more horsepower and better suspension mods. SCCA is a great way to learn performance driving in a safe legal environment. SF Region SCCA Solo II

what is the best hp gain for your money?

It depends on how cheap you want to go. A K&N drop in filter and Magnaflow muffler welded into stock exhaust pipes can be had for about $100 (plus installation), makes a big difference in power, and will not void your warranty.

what is the best handling gain for your money?

Again it depends, but SVT springs and front bump stops can be had for $100. If you can afford more, add SVT or S2 shocks (or Konis if you end up in Solo II), SVT or S2 rear sway bar, and uerothane end links.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by demonfire:
APEX suspension (springs and dampers).. or any matched setup. Best change in feel of car for the price.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree. But rather than the SVT parts someone mentioned...spend a little bit more and get something better like KW, H&R, Eibach, etc. (just my opinion).

A suspension upgrade will yield the most noticeable difference in overall drivability (short of spending thousands on a turbo, hehe).

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I wil have to say, that at first my goals were:
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1. Power</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">2. Appearence</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">3. Handling</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But since I have an SVT, true power mods are hard to come by, and the appearence is pretty good. So the place I could do the most good was the suspension. But let me tell you, I am more happy, and am having more fun with my new mods, than I thought possible.
Now having experienced an upgraded suspension, my goals have changed:
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1. Suspension</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">2. Tuning Mods (lightweight stuff not directly related to power or suspension)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">3. Power</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">4. -</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">5. -</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">6. -</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">10. Appearence.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

[ 10-25-2002, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: belacyrf ]

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Suspension for my car was the best money I spent.
$850 for custom H&R coilovers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts