Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Don't buy the Iceman!!!! get something nicer...

·
Registered
411 Posts
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do you have Ice-man?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
FastFocusZX3
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree. If you're good at working stuff out, get the svt snorkel and cut your airbox to fit. Pretty much the same thing. The Iceman has a smaller snorkel and uses the stock inlet (Which is tiny), but has nice smooooooooth piping. Volant has a whole new airbox which is alot less restrictive and has a cone filter. Here are Tony D's dyno results Topic: IceMan or Volant? And just to show, not everyone is completly satisfied with the results from the IceMan alone. Topic: Getting rid of Iceman
More power dynoed with the Volant.

Just if your curious the Volant is $249.95 at Newedge, Volant Intake at NewEdgePerformance

[ 10-25-2002, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: RainyZX3 ]

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by FastFocusZX3:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do a search and do the research. The IceMan provides quality low-end torque while dramatically improving overall ariflow. I have owned AEM (actual long tube CAI), FS Cool-Flo, and IceMan (for the Focus). Of the 3, I would pick the IceMan hands down every time. In warmer weather, I combine the FS Cool-Flo with the IceMan and it rocks.

But hey, if you're a pure racer and want high end only, go for the long tube CAI.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i dont have any numbers to back up my prefs for intake besides cost
. the svt snorkel from ford is something like $20. youve got two options there: modify the stock airbox inlet; or use some flexible hose and clamps to secure the snorkel to the stock box. you can then add to that the $40 ice man mini duct or fashion your own for much cheaper out of, again, hose and clamps, or just plain leave the res box on/off. next option is a nicer filter from k&n for something like $40(i could be wrong here?). so anyways, you've got some steps you can take in smaller increments if moneys an issue. if its not, alot of people tend to recommend the volant and svt snorkel combo. thats where ill be heading eventually when i have $250 or so to drop on intake.

[ 10-25-2002, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: w00w00 ]

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
w00w00 is right. I only spent $27 onmy svt snorkel, cut the bottom of my airbox, cut the stock intake to fit and stuck it on the side. home made Iceman for $27, and boy would I love to dyno it to show that it's just as good. If only someone would give me the money. Me poor, hence the $27 intake. If I had the money I'd go w/volant or AEM according to Tony they produce the most power, it just depends on where you want it.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
My $.02: I Like my Ice-man and will say so to anyone who listens!!! It has a nice intake sound, better throttle response--especially low to midrange--than stock, and in Black looks like an O.E. part (that does not draw any attention to itself when in for service OR when you beat riceboy and he wants to see under your hood
). Cheers!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Best price? Try the classified sections.
Triple the price of an SVT snorkel, but worth every penny.

[ 10-25-2002, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Auto_Focus ]

·
Registered
631 Posts
Originally posted by w00w00:
i dont have any numbers to back up my prefs for intake besides cost
. the svt snorkel from ford is something like $20. youve got two options there: modify the stock airbox inlet; or use some flexible hose and clamps to secure the snorkel to the stock box. you can then add to that the $40 ice man mini duct or fashion your own for much cheaper out of, again, hose and clamps, or just plain leave the res box on/off. next option is a nicer filter from k&n for something like $40(i could be wrong here?). so anyways, you've got some steps you can take in smaller increments if moneys an issue. if its not, alot of people tend to recommend the volant and svt snorkel combo. thats where ill be heading eventually when i have $250 or so to drop on intake.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ye must bow before Iceman superiority.

Deeznuts and about 15 other Vegas and AZ jeters saw first hand the power produced by installing the Ice-Man. They dynoed it and had staggering results.

http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=006341#000000

Now I know you probably see little red x's, but trust me, it had 6hp/6tq. Numbers like that make a difference. If you can couple that with an UDP, you've got some spring in your step.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
If I get 4hp and 4 ft-lbs from the SVT snorkel, then I'de still like it just as much. 2 hp and 2 ftlbs aint worth $200 more to me. But it really your own decision GirlWithAFocus, it also depends on where you drive. If you really spend alot of time up in the upper power range, then you'd be better w/AEM. If you want an easy upgrade that keeps your car looking stock and gives you a little more punch at the end of the day then go for IceMan. If you've got time and experience, fit an SVT, you may or may not get the same results as IceMan, but you sure as h*** will spend alot less money.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So far Modern Performance appears to be cheapest @ $209.99/free shipping ... anyone know if it exists for less anywhere?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, try zxtuner.com, i think they have it for cheaper, and you can buy it w/o the filter from them. just try www.zxtuner.com

they have it for 194.95 with filter and
for 172.95 w/o filter.

[ 10-25-2002, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: sherych ]

·
Registered
210 Posts
This mod added along with the SVT snorkle will add excellent results for LOW $$$$:

[ 10-26-2002, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: bugshack ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by RainyZX3:
If I had the money I'd go w/volant or AEM according to Tony they produce the most power, it just depends on where you want it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks captain obvious
I'm just playin' but i think that's the case with everyone. If they could afford the AEM or volant they'd get it but they spend a little less and get a lot less
Like tonyd said the AEM was the only one that bested the volant. IMAGINE THAT they make the best intake for this car too. JEEZ what a surprise

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by poSSumX:
But hey, if you're a pure racer and want high end only, go for the long tube CAI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hear this commment a lot and dont really understand it. When your driving hard dont you guys usually wind out your car? Hell its a four cylindar. It has no power until you wind the piss out of it. I really use rpms below 4 grand when i'm racing people
. I just dont understand what the point of gaining like 2hp at 3000 rpm is. I dont ever hit 3000 rpm's when i'm driving hard.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Originally posted by RainyZX3:
If I get 4hp and 4 ft-lbs from the SVT snorkel, then I'de still like it just as much. 2 hp and 2 ftlbs aint worth $200 more to me.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why would you get 4whp from a larger front snorkel? All it does it bring a semi-small amount of more air.

Our Iceman front snorkel was installed 3 days after I installed the T/B->MAF Tube, it made no difference, with the SVT being only slightly larger, it won't do much more at all.

The thing that makes the power with the Iceman setup is the Main tube, not the Front snorkel.

- Drew

[ 10-26-2002, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: focusownerskid ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts