Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing my spark plugs this weekend, which ones should I get in yal's opinion.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I put some Motorcraft copper plugs, #AZFS22CF4, in mine a while back. It ran better after that, don't know if it was just because I put new plugs in or if it's the copper plugs. You can just put some of the Motorcraft Double Plats in, the stock ones that came in the car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
nothing wrong with replacing them with stock plugs. You aren't running FI or Nitrous so not much difference to be had performance wise. The AZFS22C copper plugs are in the stock heat range for the SVTF and are a bit cheaper. Either way, try opening your gap to .055 and see if you run any better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 02'SVTF had some idleing problems, i talked to a Ford Mastertech i work with. He told me only use Motorcraft in mine because they will run like poop when you stick some aftermart plugs in there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used Denso's in mine for about a year(for nitrous) and they ran great but if I wasn't running N2O I wouldn't pay 15 bucks a plug. Also, The AZFS22C is a motorcraft plug. If you are wanting a cheaper alternative yet, you can pick up some Autolite Plat's at Advanced Auto Parts for about 3.50 a plug. Autolite makes motorcraft so they should be comparable.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I wont use anything but the MotorCraft AZFS22C's.

Every BIG horsepower Focus on the board runs them.

·
Registered
883 Posts
the AZFS22C spark plugs and the stock plugs are accually different in size if you see them side by side. the azfs22c,s are a little longer, cause they have more threads so they stick out further.

Also my pick on plugs would be NGK Iradums runs great with them

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
how do you know you "need" new plugs? I am curious.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have tried ngk iridiums (absolutly horse [censored] plugs) and the motorcraft coppers, and I think the motorcrafts are the only way to go. My car seems to like them.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have tried ngk iridiums (absolutly horse [censored] plugs) and the motorcraft coppers, and I think the motorcrafts are the only way to go. My car seems to like them.
which motorcraft coppers?

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
which motorcraft coppers?

MotorCraft AZFS22C's.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
why are they so much cheaper than stock plugs?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Cause they are copper, which I am pretty sure its a better conductor than platinum or whatever stock plugs are, also better conducter than iridium if memory serves me correctly. They are cheaper cause they don't last as long, probably copper is cheaper, and another thing you have to gap them yourself.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
ah that makes sense. I still dont see why people need to be replacing their plugs unless for some reason they suspect they are misfiring. reading threads like these makes me want to jump out and replace my plugs, but I can't see a good reason for it. I guess I could take my plugs out and see how foul they are.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Cause they are copper, which I am pretty sure its a better conductor than platinum or whatever stock plugs are, also better conducter than iridium if memory serves me correctly. They are cheaper cause they don't last as long, probably copper is cheaper, and another thing you have to gap them yourself.
You don't have to gap them, they come pre gapped at .050. They are just cheap because they are copper core plugs.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
i have to gap them .050 is way to much for me
i go to like 40 to 42
15psi tends to blow it out at 50

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
ah that makes sense. I still dont see why people need to be replacing their plugs unless for some reason they suspect they are misfiring. reading threads like these makes me want to jump out and replace my plugs, but I can't see a good reason for it. I guess I could take my plugs out and see how foul they are.
I was told by a machanic to change your plugs every 2 years. And when you put new ones in put a small dab of Anti-Seize on the threads.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Copper performs better, Platinum lasts longer but doesn't perform as well. For an NA application re-gap the plugs to .055 it really helps smooth out the way it runs.

·
Registered
686 Posts
are the MotorCraft AZFS22C's. one step colder compared to stock plugs? i am going to be running nitrous with a 50shot max, is that the best plug to use with nitrous and also will it be running good if i'm not spraying?

·
Registered
457 Posts
It seems nobody knows the real to that question. The stock SVT plug is a totally different part number than the ZX3. A while back when I called denso, they seem to think the SVT plug is a colder plug. For example they have the ITV16 listed for the ZX3, but then they have the ITV24 listed for the SVT, which is 3 steps colder. I can't get a definate answer from Ford on the matter and no one else seems to know for sure. The AZFS22Cf4 seem to work good on the NA SVT motors. With a 50 shot I think you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts