Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. I wanted to know what you thought was the best udp. Should I just get an alternator pulley or a 3 piece set. I have a small amp and one 10". thanks this site is great!

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
The smallest crank-only UDP is the AF/X. Weight won't make much difference since it's attached to a giant flywheel on the other end of the engine. The main factor in what a UDP does is how much it underdrives. A 3 piece set will underdrive a negligeable amount more than the AF/X pulley, so it comes down to how much time and money do you wish to spend tinkering with it.

If you absolutely HAVE to have THE MOST underdriven setup on planet earth, go with the 3 piece set. Personally, I think 3 piece is just fine at KFC, but in my car, I went with the AF/X. Easy to install (instructions on www.FocusHacks.com ) and pretty painless. Tinkering with the water pump pulley can be a pain, and most people who buy the 3 piece kit don't even use the 3rd pulley (for the alternator) because it really is just too difficult to put on, and the time you spend fighting with it versus the small gains of the alternator pulley make it somewhat pointless.

At that point, any gains that you would have had with the 3 piece over the AF/X go out the window. (as far as I know, the Alternator part of the FC 3 Piece kit IS underdriven, regardless of what people say)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by crlfocus:
ax0n, thanks for the info, where can I find the af/x?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">www.newedgeperformance.com Tony D will take care of you..AFX UDP all the way! You dont want to mess with your alternator espcially since your pushing a little bit of bass...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts