Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this article when logging on:

Better cars to get hit by

New regulations require carmakers to think about protecting people their cars run over.
September 25, 2003: 10:07 AM EDT
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN/Money Staff Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - As you step off the sidewalk, chatting on your cell phone, you look to your left and notice a new Mazda RX-8 speeding towards you.

The new Mazda has a 1.3 liter rotary engine that produces 238 horsepower and has no cylinders. But the thing that really concerns you is the car's hood. Because your head is about to slam into it.
Carmakers are thinking a lot about this sort of scenario because of new European safety rules. On Monday, regulators there signed into law a series of measures designed to help protect those who are hit by cars. Under these new rules, which codify an existing voluntary agreement with carmakers, cars sold in Europe will be tested and rated in special pedestrian crash tests.
Why it's bad to get hit by a car
When you get hit by a car, the first thing that happens is that your legs get knocked out from under you. Your upper body is thrown down -- very hard -- onto the hood of the car.

That's typically the cause of serious injury, since just a couple of inches underneath the hood, in most cars, is the engine.
Automakers are trying to soften the blow.
"Pedestrian safety is a very, very big deal for us," said Jeremy Barnes, a spokesman for Mazda North American Operations.

"It's hard to imagine that a customer would say 'Wow, I really I need that on my car because I hit a lot of pedestrians'"
Note:I deleted the boring stuff from the article above.

I find the actual quote I put in bold to be rather funny

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
in Autoweek or some such magazine they were talking about this a few months ago. they then took current cars, and did artist's conceptual drawings of what they might look like under these new guidelines.

the cars, were, well they were just FOOGLY. although i guess this is a good idea.

i got hit by a car once on my bike. i flew down the sidewalk, and off the curb into the street at a 4-way intersection, and coming the other way was a Town Car, and he was turning where i was crossing the street. i hit him head on, he hit me about right as he was about to stop, and i was going maybe 10mph, so it wasn't a hard hit, but it smashed my bike and i flew up in the air and landed on my ass on his hood. it was actually kinda fun
but it coulda been a lot worse. although that doesn't really apply to this thread, lol

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
That regulation is one of the reasons (mind you I said one) that the impreza got a new front end, they are touting it as safer when you hit a pedestrian, the new upcoming legacy is supposedly safer when you hit a pedestrian too.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Thats great now i have to buy an rx8 so i can hit pedestrians safely!
No Nick
Not pedestrians - Soccer moms

·
Registered
723 Posts
That regulation is one of the reasons (mind you I said one) that the impreza got a new front end, they are touting it as safer when you hit a pedestrian, the new upcoming legacy is supposedly safer when you hit a pedestrian too.
yeah, but hitting that hood scoop is still gonna hurt like hell.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
yeah, but hitting that hood scoop is still gonna hurt like hell.
nah, cuz it's curved so it kinda of cradles you inside it, i bet its comfortable

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If im getting hit by a car, it had better be an exotic. I dont want to die knowing the last thing ill ever see on Earth is a 88 Monte Carlo on 24in spinners.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
maybe if we are discussing this, we should educate the public to look both ways when crossing the street.

and edit:

If they say the biggest cause of injury is the flying down onto the hood (and yes the 8 has a low hood), is it better to get hit by a truck?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone ever think about jumping? When I ran cross country in high school, one of the guys had a really close call with a some punk in a celica. To make a long story short he ended up running up the guys hood and over his car, and kept going but those of us with him at the time thought he was dead. Later we all laughed about it cause it scared us to think of the "what if" factor. left cool dents in the imbeciles hood and roof, he was pissed, we kept going.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts