Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
If I'm not mistaken a different throttle body was used.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Originally posted by RiTzBiTz:
If I'm not mistaken a different throttle body was used.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But the question is, can you retrofit it to the 1999-2002 focus, if so, that would be nice!??
Well, may be someone with a 2003, will answer, if indeed the TB is different, or will take a picture of it (hint)

·
Registered
591 Posts
INSTEAD OF WASTING MONEY ON A NEW 2003 THROTTLE BODY WHY DONT YOU DO ONE OF THESE 2

1. FC THROTTLE BODY
2. BORE OUT THE STOCK ONE

WAY CHEAPER THAN BUYING A NEW T.B FROM FORD!

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
My dad has a 2003 ZX3, and he claims it to be considerbly quicker than is 2002 ZX3. I have not driven it yet to confirm, but all the stock ones seem slow after living with my modified one. The car also has improved body sealing for less noise, which is a must for owners of Vibrant exhaust systems with a header. I am thinking about getting the 2003 TB and getting rid of my FC TB. I am getting tired of fiddling with the damn idle screw to get the plate from sticking. Oh, the 2003 shifter linkage is different. I will drive it this weekend and report back

·
Registered
602 Posts
Playing with the idle screw will not fix the stickinig. Try cleaning the metal 'throat' and the edges of the throttle plate.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by artin:
INSTEAD OF WASTING MONEY ON A NEW 2003 THROTTLE BODY WHY DONT YOU DO ONE OF THESE 2

1. FC THROTTLE BODY
2. BORE OUT THE STOCK ONE

WAY CHEAPER THAN BUYING A NEW T.B FROM FORD!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I bought a new TB from Ford before I ported my stock one, just in case. Cost me $75.00. I don't know what's WAY cheaper than that.

P.S. You might want to invest a couple of bucks in a new keyboard that doesn't have the CAPS LOCK stuck on.

[ 11-01-2002, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Blue01Street ]

·
Registered
184 Posts
So, cam anyone confirm a different TB for 2003, and give the part number as well!???
thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I remember reading a long time ago that Ford was giving the '03 Focus a recalibrated tb and less restrictive exhaust. If you think of it in terms of how much throttle you get for pushing down the gas, all they have to do is set it so that your fist bit of throttle actually opens the throttle body more than it used to. Instantly you feel like you have more power and better throttle response. Or so you think... It's just a trick I think Nissan does it too. They may have just rebuilt the TB to be a little bigger too. Anyone want to goto their ford dealer and look?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I test drove and evaluated the 2003 ZX3 with the new TB and shifter. The car is way quicker than the stock 2002, and 2001. (I am sure it is faster than a stock 2000, but it has been over 2 years since I have driven a stock one). The upgraded engine feels much stronger, and seems to pull more like my modified 2000 Zetec. The shifts are very nice, much better than the original linkage. The 2003 TB is something I am going to look at as a replacement for my aftermarked TB, which is good for hp, but not the best for driveability. I will also take the intake tube apart and look at the inside and see if it looks different from the 2000-2002 TB's. The cams, head, and connecting rods are supposedly different as well for 2003. It may just be a combo of everything working together that makes a much nicer car. Ford did a great job on 03.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I just traded in my 1 month old 2003 ZX3 automatic.Yes they did improve the throttle response and added more sound deadening over the previous year plus added more durable seat fabric.The reason I traded out of it was that I was having to fill the gas tank 4 times in the month because I wasn't able to even get 200 miles on a full tank in mixed driving.The mileage was even worse then what my 2000 Ranger 4 cyl. was getting when brand new
.I ended up trading the ZX3 for an '02 SVTF and so far my gas mileage has improved considerably in just a few day of driving it.-Jim

·
Registered
395 Posts
The 130-horsepower Zetec engine has a new throttle body this year for improved part-throttle response, a new cylinder head that allows an increase in spark timing for greater efficiency, reduced-load valve springs and reduced-back pressure exhaust.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Then why is it still only 130 hp?

·
Registered
329 Posts
better throttle response? cant they just adjust the throttle position sensor to accomplish that?

on another note, couldnt you just adjust your stock TP sensor, elongate the holes and adjust so that your computer sees that you are on the throttle quicker...it doesnt necessarily mean you will be faster, it just feels that way. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Originally posted by 2xZx3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> The 130-horsepower Zetec engine has a new throttle body this year for improved part-throttle response, a new cylinder head that allows an increase in spark timing for greater efficiency, reduced-load valve springs and reduced-back pressure exhaust.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Peak HP only occurs at one RPM point. Considerable improvements could be made at every other RPM point without raising the peak.

A simple way to increase perception of throttle response is to replace the linkage arm on the TB, varying the geometry so the plate opens farther with less pedal movement.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Sounds like the 2003 TB will be worthwhile as an upgrade. I'm loathe to bore out my stock TB while I'm still covered under warranty.

I'm not planning on serious mods until things need replacing (shocks, exhaust) or I get much more income, so it's not worthwile for me to go all the way up to a 65mm TB.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by 2xZx3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> The 130-horsepower Zetec engine has a new throttle body this year for improved part-throttle response, a new cylinder head that allows an increase in spark timing for greater efficiency, reduced-load valve springs and reduced-back pressure exhaust.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'd say because all of the 00-02 models don't make 130 across the board. Too much variance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts