Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the reason i said that is that guys.. think about it. the only diffrence between the intake cam and the exhaust cam is 8 degrees of duration and .02 tenths of lift. A cam is a cam. now as for the noob rating yup thats me for the focus... however... if you want to talk bout big blocks or small block fords in intertial intake tunning inertial exhaust tunning hermoltz resonation theories valve geometry dynamic compression ratios cam design ring design piston design head flow port velocity dry sump oil systems or any other sigle variation of any of the above as well as any other engine power generating/decreasing factor. please I will oblige all questions.
btw you dont have to defend me man i dont care if they rag on me i find it funny. ALso... exactly why cant you install the exhaust cam in place of the intake cam... I was just wondering... go look at www.cranecams.com really quick and notice they use them interchangably. I just reread my topic that i posted and noticed someone said there was a notch i havent got them yet... is it percision or can i weld one on.. also... looking at the flow on the cams... im seeing 31.2 intake lobe area and 33.34 exhaust lobe area... going to do my homework really quick and make sure im right... going to post agian in a few

[ 11-09-2002, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Travis ]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok looked it up... Iv always read 75% gives you maximum power... looking at 82% with those cam profiles and 73% with them reversed.. anyone got any numbers to check me?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naz I always thought you were a cool guy. Iv been reading post on here for about a year and half and im amazed that you would crack on me for posting.. I can recall quite a few posts you made taht definatly left me laughing hysterically. remember... the cars i work on have distributors with mechanical advance (the high tech ones do anyways) how the hell am i supposed to know there is a notch for the cam sensor on the intake cam? common bro. that **** hurt man. what are you thinkin? blahh... aska simple question get your ass chewed in by a bunch of guys that think they are god. especially decerining my abilities to work on cars... that was entertaining.. iv changed more cams then youv banged your hand ill almost garun damn well tee it.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I know we're not talking Forced Induction, but ONE of the guys I would look up via Private Message is Turbo Tom. (Often seen Posting in the F/I Forum...) He does LOTS more than F/I Tuning, and MAY have already done research in the area of your question and have some REAL Answers for you.
BTW, I'm glad you understood that I see you as a "Newbie" to the site, and make no assumptions about your general knowledge.

Turbo Tom isn't the ONLY one to talk to, but he does have a wealth of experience and experimental results w/ various Zetec and other Ford engine "Power-Making" "Tricks and Techniques".
(I'd classify him as a Zetec "Big Dog"....
)
BTW,
WELCOME to the 'Jet!!!

[ 11-09-2002, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Anything with real low ductility, like a cam, is a losing proposition to attempt welding on. Not to mention the potential consequences from the inevitable distortion resulting from any welding operation.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Travis, You've made some ASSumptions yourself about Naz's "Hand-Banging".
He may well have "Banged his hand" HUNDREDS of more times than you've changed cams....

You never know...???

Don't judge ANYONE's "Hand-Banging" experience w/o "FIRST-Hand" Knowledge!!!

[ 11-09-2002, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man i was out working on my car came in to see if anyone had responded yet and seen the room locked with 25 posts and knew that wasnt good
I was gunna just let whatever slide but when i seen naz stuck in the middle of it i just couldnt resist.
do you know what kind of metal they make those cams out of... I dont have alot of welding knowledge... but im sure I could find someone with the proper equipment to do the job. What kind of welder could do that kind of work? if any atall?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Around here, Welding Rod is Probably the most experienced, w/ P-51 having knowledge as well. I'd listen to them on that particular subject.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The only way to determine weldability is to find out the steel designation or chemical analysis of the particular heat (batch) of steel that was used for the item you want to weld. Crower may very well specifiy some proprietary alloy. For any critical application destructive tests of samples need to be made. Obviously this is not possible in your case.

I have no idea what the cams are made of and seriously doubt anyone else will either. There is always the case of ignorance being bliss and quite likely someone may say "Oh yeah we do that all the time, no problem." That doesn't neccessarily mean it is sound practice.

As a practical matter you should know that:

All cams will not be made of the same "recipe" so just because someone may have "successfully" welded a cam before this is no assurance you won't have catastrophic failure.

All welding will generate some degree of distortion. How much depends on many variables, but there will alway be some.

If your part was determined to be weldable based on its chemistry, pre and/or post weld heat treatment may be essential to the procedure.

Material grain structure and size will be effected.

Items that lack ductility, and/or are hard (they go hand in hand), generally have poor weldability. They are susceptibility to cracking during weld contraction and from cooling shrinkage forces.

Cams lack ductility. There is a jetter that can attest to that as he snapped both of his in half the other day simply by not using the correct tightening sequence during install.

Items that are dynamic or subject to cyclic loading/fatique are particularly prone to coming apart if the metal is not mechanically sound or surface irregularities exist.

I am not saying it can't be done, I do not know. If it is possible, I think it is doubtful it could be done both correctly and cost effectively. Personally, I would not do it, or have it done, until the alloy, weldability, and correct procedure is positively determined.

BTW, "Weldability" has little to do with a metal's ability to be physically welded. The term is used in reference to the metal's mechanical soundness after welding. These really are two entirely different things. Most people are only aware of the former. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, sometimes it leads to catastrophic failure at the least convenient time.

[ 11-09-2002, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well then i guess exhaust to intake or intake to exhaust isnt possible thanks for the info welding rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts