Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's problem 1. Ok im just crusing around and im in say 3rd gear and Im at 4,000rpm's then i take my foot of the pedal and just cruise but car is still in gear and then the rmp's start to come down ok here's the problem as soon as i hit 3,000 rpm's it feels like someone is pushing my break but my foot not even close to the brake it's just resting on the gas pedale it is always doing it now im getting kind of mad my car only has 5,300 miles on it.

2nd problem my car has gotten pretty slow off the line and gas mileage has really got BAD and my rpm's dont want to go up that fast it feels kinda of slow i dont no maybe im just going crazy but i no that there is some thing up with problem 1 that's what really care about.

So if you guys could help that would be way COOL

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Isn't that called 'engine braking'?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Have you checked you DSI lately?

Sounds like the new version of the old Ford slogan.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you don't mind I want that in my sig
That was great!

As for the braking, any manual car will do it, its engine braking, and besides the DSI problem you're car isn't getting slower, you're just getting used to it. As for the gas milage, it may be b/c your DSI is stuck or just because you have a leadfoot

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the problem you are having is the flywheel changing
between mass modes.Mine does it also between 2500-3200 rpm.
Yes it is annoying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That problem is a combination of the throttle body actuation
and the fly wheel.What I do to combat this is to modify my driving.While buzzing about town,knowing I'm going to have to stop and go,I keep the rpm's up well past that point of rapid decel,normally 3200-4500 rpm's.I'll only go to a lower gear when I have a long stretch that I know I won't have to make any throttle adjustments.Remember this car does not like the low rpm's, it works best from mid to high
rpm's.On a side note,where I bought my car three other SVT's
that were sold inside the same month.All cars had build numbers inside 50,mine is #1976.All but my car have been in the shop for throwing engine codes many times.The SVT tech swears its because the other drivers are lugging these high reving engines around short shifting all the time.Gotta drive these cars like a sport bike,keep the rpm's up

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yes it is annoying.
What????? The flywheel doesn't change anything. Dual mass means it is a two piece design.

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Yes it is annoying.
What????? The flywheel doesn't change anything. Dual mass means it is a two piece design.
I agree...I would guess that you are dealing with a electronic programming issue

·
Registered
26 Posts
Duel Mass means Two Masses,a flywheel that comes in two pcs is still a single mass.Our flywheel has two masses that work independantly of one and other and spring and damping system that comes into effect at different torque loads.So at different speeds the springs contract and expand.Thus at 3500 rpm the springs are compressed and both masses are at work,then as the rpms drop the springs uncompress separating the masses and stored enertia is lost allowing the engine to do the braking.This is where the feeling of hitting the brakes comes into effect.

·
Registered
239 Posts
MygMan,
Where did you hear that?

The flywheel has a total mass that is in two parts. One part (apx 70% of the total) is bolted directly to the crankshaft. The other part (the other 30%) is attached to the larger on a center hub that would allow it to spin free if not for a spring damping system between the two pieces. The flywheel does not know how fast it is turning the only thing that happens is when you are accelerating the torque is transfered from the crankshaft mounted part of the flywheel to the other through the spring damper system between them. This is to take out the shock loading as you get on and off the throttle and dampen the low speed vibrations. Almost all street cars use a spring damping system in the clutch disk and a normal single mass flywheel. The SVTF uses a solid center disk and has installed the damping in the flywheel.

The reason I know what the SVTF flywheel looks like and how it works: I took it off the car and it is sitting on my workbench because I installed a FS aluminum flywheel (single mass) and a ClutchMaster disk and got rid of about 12 lbs of ugly rotating mass, and most likley the reason for a number of the clutch/flywheel explosions we have seen in our cars.

·
Registered
286 Posts
MygMan, please watch spreading around misinformation. It's one thing to state your opinion, quite another to state something as fact that isn't. You are way off on your flywheel statements. Also, the SVTF has a very good low rpm torque curve, compared to other small displacement N/A 4 cyl's. You may want to read up on automotive systems, and learn a bit more about the way things operate.
~Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts