Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I installed my Bilstein PSS9 coilover kit today and everything went as planned with no problems or hickups. I guess it helps to have installed coilovers before. The Bilsteins are replacing my FK Highsport coilovers, I wanted something with some dampening adjustability. I'll post some thoughts of the ride quality soon and some other info about the kit soon, right now I'm kinda tired after working on the car all day.

The front suspension pics:

And the rear pics:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow, now don't those look pretty
, you def. need to do a write up on them after a few weeks of driving on them. Also if you could do a comparo between the Bilstein's and the FK's as fas as (i.e. quality, noise factor, height adjustability, etc.)

If I end up keeping my car I too was thinking of changing my coils from my current FK setup to the PSS9's or the Variant 3's.

Congrats on your new purchase, more toys the better

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Sweet! Now, how much did those cost? Where did you get them?

I thought those things were vaporware.

Edit: I see they are available for $1300, not a bad.

Damn, that's a good price!

Does anybody know the spring rates on these things? How soft/hard can you adjust the valving? Maybe this would be better for me, get a set of these things that can take the punishment of these roads. The setup looks VERY beefy!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Ok, so like, need lots more info on these!

What's the spring rate, how hard/soft can they adjust? What is the real height adjument?

What is the warranty? That's real important for me. I want to know, if I got these, and killed them, are they like warranties FOEVER no matter what? If I kill them on a pothole, will they cover them?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Damage...Rob look at those I wonder what you could do to inflict enough damage to hurt those. I've bent two lower control arms and my Leda's took it in stride no visible damage at all. Well Ok the Leda sticker was damaged when my wheel buckled and moved in against the coilover body.

Wow if I ever switch I know what I'm going to get and $1300 is still a great price!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was thinking of getting the FKs, but now i might be changing my mind. can't wait for the write up. what it the min and max lowering? where did you get them?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Anybody know which Bilstein body these use? Are they 30, 36, or 46mm?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll post my thoughts on the ride compared to the FK's in alittle while, I've only had a chance to drive them for about 50km and I think they are still settling some.

The amount of dampening adjustment goes from 1(firm) to 9(soft). I have them set at 5 right now and will experiment what works best for daily driving and then firm them up when I do any kind of auto-xing or track days.

Instead of typing out all the adjustment range numbers, I just scanned the instructions so you can see what Bilstein provides. Take note of what it says on the bottom about needing 5mm spacers with OEM 16" and 17" wheels to ensure proper clearance. Also note the last blurb about Foci equipped with rear disc brakes.

The pics a little big but I had to make it like that in order to be able to read it clearly.

I'll also try and snap some pics of the car as it sits right now.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
jeebus...those things look solid. more info more info!!! canuck, you have a pm.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Bump.

Ok, so, anybody know the lowering range, and suspension travel of this setup? Anybody know if it's 30, 36, or 46mm strut?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Cool, especially with the "tender" spring and a new hat instead of the funky "cone" spring the H&R set-up uses. Not sure why H&R didn't just do this, especially since we can assume they wound these springs. Plus it's curious that they mounted the rears upside down and didn't use the stock foamy like the H&R set-up.

Now I'm wondering if the H&R PCS may be along these lines.....very different from the Stage IVs.

I'm still curious what how the adjustment works and if it's similar to the old Shocktek modified Bilsteins.

cool stuff

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got them local from ZX3 Tuning but any shop that can get Bilstein can get them, there's stock in California at Bilstein. The part number for the ZX3 and sedan is GM5-8046-H0.

After the initial drop, you have a permissible adjustment range of 25mm in the front and a range of 20mm in the rear. I lowered the rear today to with in 1mm of the max lowering range. I don't have any rear seats or spare tire/jack so there is still about a two finger gap. If you buy this set-up looking for extreme lowering, this is not the set for you. I also firmed them up by one notch to 4, my initial setting of 5 was just a little softer than I liked or was used to having ridden on the FK's for the last year. The firmness in the rear is pretty straight forward to adjust and for the front you just have to crank the steering wheel all the way to one side and you're able to get to the bottom of the fron strut to adjust their firmness.

Build wise compared to the FK's, the Bilsteins are a little better thought out in terms of the collar and spring seat design, the wrenches they provide, the plastic washer between the spring seat and the spring and the Bilsteins are just more beefy in general.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Jeez P,
I thought you were holdin out for the Konigsports.
I just did a PDC event at the road course at mission, wanted to know how you like the PSS9 over the highsports(Ride Quality, Handling, Performance etc).
I'm thinking about the coilovers but am not sure if for just simple track days and daily stuff if adjustable coilovers are worth the bling..... Also does this mean the regular PSS non adjustable coilovers are out???

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I got tired of waiting.
I haven't really driven the car enough yet to give a full comparo but you're more than welcome to take it for a test drive if you want. As far as I know, Bilstein has not released just the PSS for the Focus.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info... but there's some stuff missing I just don't get.

So, it only has an adjustment range of about an inch? So, what is the range of heights? I actually don't want to go low. But I'd like to know what we're talking about here.

How come it can only adjust one inch, but there appears to be about 3-4 inches of thread on the front strut?

How much front suspension travel does it have?

How hard is it? I've never driven the FK's... Have you ever been in a car with Konis? How does it compare to that? Is it harsh over bumps?

I'd love to have a setup that could adjust from 0 to -2", and damping that could go from a moderate sporty street setup, to a firm racing setup.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts