Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how you remove this without breaking off the little tabs that hold it to the valve cover, I want to remove it to clean under there a little, and put it back but don't want to break those tabs, it looks like you just squeeze them and they pop off, but I can't get that idea to work, maybe need some needle nose pliers to do it. Also how much you think that cover cost if you had to guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have had mine off a few times and never really worried about it breaking the tabs. They haven't broken and all I did was pulled it off. you might be able to get a small thin flat head screw driver in there to help, but mine just pops off and back on with no problems. Haven't read about anyone breaking one yet...but there is a first for everything. As far as price you would think 10-15 bucks, maybe 20 max, but with Ford the way they have been I can see them charging like $50 or more for it. I am not sure if the part number for it is in the part# thread or not. Whether it is or not, the dealer should be able to search for it pretty easy and get a price.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I got my friends off by pulling the part from the back tab and popping it up. It's no guarantee that it's not going to break but his came off with a little effort. Those snaps are a poor design because they aren't really reversable and the tab is weak. Good luck

·
Registered
698 Posts
Next time your getting the car serviced or an oil change, ask them to do it. If they break it they can replace it.

If not, it should come out by pulling strait up, one peg at a time. I thought my cover was going to break to, but pull up and make sure you brace yourself from coming up more than an inch or two. That is the only thing that will break it, if you put more stress on the remaining tabs going sideways. Oh yea, start with the driver side first, on your right side of the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts