Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\"Black Cover\" under the hood... Do we really need it?

Hi,

I have the stock zx3 hood.... I want to install two vents, but there's a "black (protective?) cover" under the hood...

What is that for? Can we remove it? any problems....?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Re: \"Black Cover\" under the hood... Do we really need it?

it's a fire blanket. if your engine catches on fire, the plastic tabs holding it to the hood will melt and the blanket will fall onto the engine and smother the fire. i've had mine off for almost 2.5 years now and it looks a lot better. i dont have any problems with the heat affecting the paint on my hood and when my carbon fiber hood gets here, i shouldn't have problems either. i think that the new foci now do not come with the fire blanket. my friends 02 didn't have one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That's cool... I thought it was just something to protect the hood from the engine... I had no idea it was a fire blanket...

I'll go ahead and remove mine...

thanks...

·
Registered
729 Posts

mine is still in,,,,minus a huge hole where a mouse thought it would be nice to make a bed out of the stuff in my intake baffle

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

My 03 doest have it. If you take it off, you can have a superman emblem.

·
Registered
54 Posts

mine is still in,,,,minus a huge hole where a mouse thought it would be nice to make a bed out of the stuff in my intake baffle
I have the same problem (the hole) that is.

·
Registered
729 Posts

I have the same problem (the hole) that is.
im tellin ya,,i got the car and it had this baseball size hole in the fire mat rite above my air box,,,i was like wtf, oh well....then i opened the air box a few weeks later and see little mouse turds rollin around the bottom,,,,again,,,a wtf arose,,,,so i pulled off the resenator to be curious and a whole lotta lil mickey turds come out,,,,along with the missing material,,,looks like a mouse had moved in while it was on the used car lot,,

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

it's a fire blanket. if your engine catches on fire, the plastic tabs holding it to the hood will melt and the blanket will fall onto the engine and smother the fire. i've had mine off for almost 2.5 years now and it looks a lot better. i dont have any problems with the heat affecting the paint on my hood and when my carbon fiber hood gets here, i shouldn't have problems either. i think that the new foci now do not come with the fire blanket. my friends 02 didn't have one.
Eh...more like a heat insulator than anything else. Fords have been coming with these since the dawn of time, and only recently have they stopped putting them in the low-end cars (i.e. the Focus). The only thing they are good for is capturing dirt and eventually falling apart.

I took mine out a while ago, and over the past year I have noticed some strange cracks in my clearcoat above the header area. I'm thinking this may have something to do with my lack of a heat shield on my stock header causing an excessive amount of heat in that one spot.

·
Registered
288 Posts

they are to lessen noise in the passenger compartment. My 02 didn't come with one either.

·
Registered
71 Posts

thats one OLD SCHOOL story salesmen have said forever. its there only to protect the paint from heat, it does not put out an engine fire.

·
Registered
950 Posts

they are to lessen noise in the passenger compartment. My 02 didn't come with one either.
lessen noise? compared to our mazda 626 '91 this thing is as noisy as the mazda... And i have a stock sedan '01...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

thats one OLD SCHOOL story salesmen have said forever. its there only to protect the paint from heat, it does not put out an engine fire.
WRONG! I used to work for a Ford dealership. We tested the shield on a Taurus, and guess what it did? It put out the fire. The plastic clips that are holding it up melt, and smuther the fire.

·
Car Photo God!
4,292 Posts

the Mustang mats are to lesson noise its the same concept of a Music theater having wall dampeners or dynamat in your trunk it dampens vibrations...The flexible focus blanket is made of fire resistant kevlar compound and controls fires.(probably enough to get out of your car before it leads back to your gas tank)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts