Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good evening focaljet duratech crazies. i have a slight problem with my car at the present moment...

I CAN'T GO FASTER THAN 105!!!

you know what i call that?
[censored] MAN!

Is there any way to remove the limiter as of now, and if not are there any future plans? I know about the diablo chips but as far as i know there isn't one calibrated for the 2.3 yet. If anyone can shed and light on this situation i would be a very happy guy for i'm DYING to beat my land speed record of 138 (R.I.P Silver Ghost)

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
ummm remember to say "on the track" first of all. And second of all, your car simply isn't going to get to 138 at the moment. You'd have to do some decent chiptuning and bolt ons first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my bad...
but like i said, is there any method at the time to de-limit the DuraTech engine for going above 105?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
ummm remember to say "on the track" first of all. And second of all, your car simply isn't going to get to 138 at the moment. You'd have to do some decent chiptuning and bolt ons first.
Actually just saying "At the track" is really just a jackass way to skirt around the rules. Don't get me wrong, myself included I know everyone on the Jet is not an angel, but respect the rules a little more than that. That just makes it look like you think the powers that be are plain stupid.

Now maybe phrase it like...

"I have heard that the limiter on the PZEV is set at 105. Is there currently a modification which would remove that speed limiter?"

That implies nothing illegal and shows no disrespect.

Stepping off of the soap box

·
Registered
860 Posts
Bleh...I 'heard' that my limiter appears to be set at 102 ...Unless I 'heard' that my speedo is slightly off...

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Bleh...I 'heard' that my limiter appears to be set at 102 ...Unless I 'heard' that my speedo is slightly off...
I heard your speedometer is off.

Here's a way to make your odometer into a digital speedometer temporarily. It tells no lies.

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=13
AWESOME!!!!
...Now I gotta go out in the dark and mess with my car (while choking on carbon fiber dust, no less)...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hmm...This isnt good...
I did the odometer dealie (wow, theres like 30 different things; most make no sense, but at least my charging system is good), and my speedo actually reads high ...So, if I 'heard' that my speedo only reads 102 when my limiter kicks in, then in reality my limiter kicks in at less than 100...If the digital speedo is accurate, that is...Actually, I saw an indicated 101.2 on the digital, but I dont remember what the normal speedo was reading...Unfortunately I ran out of course, as it doesnt provide room for sustained high speed...
The difference between the digital speedo, and the actual speedo also varied during testing by as much as 5 mph...The digital always read lower...Does it also get its signal from the VSS??
On the plus side, my tach is off by less than 100 rpms at any given point...
Is there anywhere to get more in-depth info on the odometer 'trick'?? ...Like a site that explains it in more tech-head talk than Focushacks...Im really curious to know what all of the things are...

(Yes, high-speed testing actually did occur on a closed, controlled course...)

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
again, yth do you need to go that fast on the road.

and sayin things like it was on an old airport road, a closed off private strip, or bs like that is just as dumb.

-Ult

·
Registered
860 Posts

and sayin things like it was on an old airport road, a closed off private strip, or bs like that is just as dumb.

-Ult
I never said anything about going that fast on the road...The reason I am concerned is because my speedometer is apparently off...I am trying to find out if it is a constant variance, or proportional to speed (ie, incorrect tire size, etc) ...I also dont particularly feel like hitting a top speed limiter running down a 1/4 mile track...
I also never said it was "an old airport road, a closed off private strip", a parking lot, a residential street, etc...It is normally used to dial in suspension set-ups (which is why I could not sustain a high speed; there is no need for long straight-aways when tuning suspension)...I just pressed it in to service temporarily to see where my car tops out...Because, again, that is not something I wanted to find out on a 1/4 mile track...No one was around, there were no spectators, other vehicles, etc...There was no possibility of anyone but myself getting injured, and it was not out on the street...What exactly is the problem??

If you arent going to contribute anything positive to this conversation, then just STFU...Yes, some people feel the need to drive fast on the street...Yes, that is stupid...No, I do not condone it...But you arent going to change anyone by jumping to half-assed conclusions about everything that is said...

So, take your
, and find a different thread because I dont particularly feel like getting in to a pissing contest with someone who is so much holier than I...I am trying to engage in a technical discussion here...

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
first of all, I don't see why it's dumb no matter WHAT the state of the controlled closed off course. So what if it's an abandoned AFB? The point is it's off the road and away from anyone else. Even more so than the strip, the only person who could get hurt is you.

I was told that speed limiters are actually tied into sustained RPM in top gear, if that makes any sense. For instance, my minivan (EEC-V...I think you're Black Oak, so the limiter function MIGHT be programmed differently) would always top out at 4k RPM in top gear. So into the wind (at the abandoned airstrip...cuz i needed that much dmaned room to get up there) I would be at maybe 112 while with the wind I could see above 120. So the variations off of 108 may be due to ambient effects, stick. There is a way to disable the speed limiter temporarily ( i believe i saw it at focushacks) but again that's EEC-V, so i'm 90% positive it won't apply to you. Hopefully Randy and FS will be able to work something out soonish. what're you doing with CF?

·
6,880 Posts

-Ult
BS? I made my 132.2 MPH (GPS reading, not speedometer reading) top speed run on an airstrip. It wasn't abandoned, but it was shut down for the night and I had permission to do it. I did run out of pavement though, I think I had a few mph's left, but it was just creeping slowly. I doubt I would have made it to 140.

·
6,880 Posts
first of all, I don't see why it's dumb no matter WHAT the state of the controlled closed off course. So what if it's an abandoned AFB? The point is it's off the road and away from anyone else. Even more so than the strip, the only person who could get hurt is you.

I was told that speed limiters are actually tied into sustained RPM in top gear, if that makes any sense. For instance, my minivan (EEC-V...I think you're Black Oak, so the limiter function MIGHT be programmed differently) would always top out at 4k RPM in top gear. So into the wind (at the abandoned airstrip...cuz i needed that much dmaned room to get up there) I would be at maybe 112 while with the wind I could see above 120. So the variations off of 108 may be due to ambient effects, stick. There is a way to disable the speed limiter temporarily ( i believe i saw it at focushacks) but again that's EEC-V, so i'm 90% positive it won't apply to you. Hopefully Randy and FS will be able to work something out soonish. what're you doing with CF?
the focus limiter is actually tied to the VSS. Without my chip, I am limited to 108 MPH in my '00 ZX3 no matter if it's 4th gear or 5th.

There's no way to remove the limiter without a chip. the system in the focus is a data bus network. you can't just go clipping wires and hope that you cut the VSS. Maybe if you unplug the VSS from the underhood harness it might work, but you have no speedometer or odo, and it's totally illegal. You're not going to fool the PCM. I've heard 2 runours and I've dispelled both of them:

1) Pulling the eBrake handle up one click removes the limiter. NOT TRUE. I pulled it up one click at the runway and then launched. Drove up to 108. Won't do it.

2) Turning the ignition key to start while trying to break past the limiter will keep it from slowing you down. NOT TRUE. I drove up to the limiter, and bounced off it. then I had my passenger turn the key to the START position and hold it there for 10 seconds or so. Limiter was not affected. Keep in mind the starter doesn't actually crank and no damage is done to the car, because the clutch pedal isn't in so the starter motor won't engage. The premise of this rumor is that "start" cuts power to some devices in the car. The VSS, cluster, and PCM are not affected, however, and ergo neither is the limiter.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
people have unplugged the VSS...that's the one I heard of...I guess it wasn't on focushacks then

they said they only did itfor track events, etc. etc.

But yah, I figured the chip was the only way.

·
6,880 Posts
people have unplugged the VSS...that's the one I heard of...I guess it wasn't on focushacks then

they said they only did itfor track events, etc. etc.

But yah, I figured the chip was the only way.
You won't find VSS disconnection instructions on focushacks. it is 100% pure illegal and fraudulent to disconnect it. I'm not going to be held liable for odometer fraud.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
that's why I retracted my earlier statement...sorry if it wasn't clear enough

·
Registered
860 Posts

See?? ...Thats my thoughts...No one is in danger but yourself, whats the problem?? ...Im glad I have support on it...I think some people just like to cause problems...

As for the speed limiter...I always thought it was tied to the VSS signal...I dunno if ambient affects it, but my speed differences seem to be due to a 'lazy' speedo (my theory, only)...I think it may be somewhat resisted like the fuel guage to keep it from jumping around like its schizo or something...Although, I think its much less resisted, so that people have at least some idea of how fast they are travelling...I have heard of unpluggin the VSS to disable the limiters, but have never tried it...My truck, I know right where it is (EEC-V), but I never bothered to find it on the Focus...Im also anal-retentive about miles...I have to account for all of them or I freak, so its kind of a no-go with unplugging it for me...For now, at least...
CF?? ...If you mean the carbon fiber thing I was negotiating...Im not totally sure...I havent heard anything since Wednesday, but I was supposed to be fabbing a switch panel for him...So, as it stands, I have a partially laid-up sheet of carbon fiber approx. 8.5 x 3 inches...If you need anything that size or smaller (or larger, for that matter), lemme know, and Ill get on it for ya...

And, just for some FYI...The supercharger project seems to have been moved up in schedule, slightly...Still no definate time-frame, though...But I think you can all see the reason for my interest in removing the top-speed limiter...

I think thats it for now, and I apologize to all legit posters for having to read my tyrade earlier...Some people just annoy me because they think the whole world is below them...

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
*cough* "when I've been drinking thread" *cough*

hopefully some of the holier-than-thou posters actually READ your tirades...might do some good. And what's this I hear about a supercharger project? I've been all over this forum and haven't seen mention of it at all. Well,
and hopefully you do it before I get my hands on a duratec so you can be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ive come to the conclusion that many people dont read posts that are more than 2 lines long...Then, they start responding to the tidbis they did read...Ah well...

I made some vague references to plans to supercharge my car a while back, but nothing too definate...However, I am going to be 'leaving' my job soon because I was offered a contract that is going to make me a decent amount of money in a short amount of time...When Im done there, I plan on putting a good chunk of change towards paying off my car, and putting a good chunk of change into a supercharger...I want to at least get the head unit, so I can start work on the brackets...Then I will get the intercooler, and fab up the tubing...Then Ill put it all together (hopefully next spring; I know its a long time off, but I dont wanna blow up my car yet) and tune it...Then its off to the track...
Anyways, the plan is to at least have a head unit in my grubby little hands, and a bracket fabbed up by winter...We shall see how well it works out...

(The reason I havent said much about it thus far is because I dont want to get everyones hopes up too high just yet)

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
There should be a chip soon enough....
Beyond that, Please Edit your Presentation and don't bypass the Swear Filters.
We're not in the Ghetto.

EDIT: This is a Reply to the First post in the Thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts