Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted this in FocusSport, but I figured I'd get a better result in Tech.

I just ordered the Motive brake bleeder to flush the brake system. Couple questions:

1. What is the max PSI for the Focus brake system? I'm guessing I'll be safe at 10, but I just want to double check.

2. I haven't bled brakes since I was 16...does it start from the furthest caliper to the nearest, or the other way around? In which order would I bleed all four calipers?

3. It states on the FocusSport website that I can also use the Motive to bleed my clutch. How do I go about bleeding the clutch using the Motive? Unlike my old 240, I do not see a separate resivour for the clutch master cylinder. Does it share the resivour with the brake master cylinder?

I appreciate the help.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
1. sorry, dont know.

2. yes. furthest to nearest

3.clutch and brakes share the same resevoir. the bleed nipple is located on the top of the bellhousing.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
1.) I asked this very question a year ago when I bled my clutch with the Motive bleeder, and nobody knew the answer. I stayed at 10psi or less - it worked great, and nothing was damaged. I think other 'Jetters (BUR_ZX3?) have used 20psi without damage, but I'm not sure about that.

3.) Yep, they share a reservoir, but there's a divider plate in there (I didn't even notice the divider when I bled the clutch - I learned about it from my Ford CD several months later). That way, if the clutch hydraulics fail and leak all the fluid, you won't lose your brakes, and vice versa.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent. Thanks for the information.

Stupid question about "furtest to nearest":
I'm assuming the order on a Focus with ABS would be passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front. Correct?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I think so. I've never bled the brakes - just the clutch.

Keep in mind that with ABS it's especially important to keep the fluid reservoir topped off. If air gets into the ABS controller, you may need to take the car to a Ford dealer to have it bled.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i just paid 75 bucks for someone to do it...kinda pointless for a DIY topic, but i didnt wanan hasle with it.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'm assuming the order on a Focus with ABS would be passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front. Correct?
Getting to be about that time. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, while I'm swapping the brake lines I am going to take it upon myself to throw a coat of paint on the calipers. This will obviously take about an hour or so to apply & wait for the paint to dry. How can I prevent my brake system from draining itself in the meantime? Very concerned about any air finding its way into the ABS controller.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

correct

·
Registered
894 Posts
yep, think of it as farthest to nearest caliper from the master cylinder (or your brake pedal).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts