Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I did the big one yesterday. Thought I killed the tranny, but my Ford dealer confirmed that a rod had ignorantly exited through the bottom of my block, bounced off the street, and (not to my liking) continued and stopped in my oil pan. First off, what a sound. Second, what a mess. I'm lucky that I have another engine sitting in my basement or I'd be SOL. I want to do a few small mods to the engine while it's in the shop. I was thinking port and polish, new Crower springs and TI retainers, and an AEM alternator pulley. Anything else I should consider, for a small price. I can maybe spend another $300 if I'm lucky. Other than that, I'm driving a Jeep until mid-November when I get my baby back.

·
Registered
723 Posts
was the engine stock or was it modified (and if so, what did it have)?

sorry it happened though. i have never blown an engine but i imagine it must suck alot.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
yeah, come on dude...more info please

Of all the things, you list a alt pulley?

How bout cams, race header, rods, pistons...might as well do em....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The feeling in your stomach knowing that you just killed your car, even temporarily is what was bad for me. It had no mods. I had an AEM CAI and Bosch platinum plugs and 9mm cables. That's all that happened in the engine bay. I want to do these mods now because it will be in the shop, and I'm paying a lot of money, so I figure I'll get something from spending so much. I definitely don't have enough for a piston setup. That's way more than $300. Headers are an option, but I don't want to get into cams or gears yet.

[ 10-16-2002, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: focus_rs ]

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
another satisfied customer of the Ford Con rod ****ty design!!

good thing you have a backup in your basement

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
No kidding, dude. Those connecting rods are a serious weak link - only reason they're used is that they're cheap (and normal drivers don't throw them).

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
man! that's ****ed up...So you werent spraying N20 or anything??? just a AEM CAI 9mm plug wires?

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Originally posted by quicksilver:
how much are you looking at for the engine replacement?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">He's already got one in the basement.

·
Registered
452 Posts
damn man, the way you were describing it on FR i thought you blew you tranny also, i guess this is even worse. i hope you swap out those pistons on the RS man. cause that would suck to spend all that money and have history repeat itself. oh yeah i also got another funny story that happened last night with the cops, ill tell you on FR.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I would call ford. IF its only 10miles over warranty they should be able to work with you.

·
Registered
591 Posts
hey hey hey hey hey!!!!!

they have to fix your car!!!!!!!!

go to ford and ask for ALLL OF THE SERVICE RECORDS!

COUNT UP ALL THE DAYS YOUR CAR WAS IN THE SHOP BEFORE YOU BOUGHT IT

YOUR WARRENTY IS EXTENDED FOR THAT MANY DAYS!!!

YOUR WARRENTY IS EXTENDED FOR ALL THE DAYS YOUR CAR SPENDS AT FORD!!!!!! DONT FORGET THAT!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
well think about it!! you have your car for 3 years correct?

and in that 3 years you get an oil change every 3 moonths minimun correct? thats 4 oil changes a year minimum correct?

4x3=12
thats not counting warrenty repairs;)

so im sure he hadent driven 10 miles in 12 days! this guy still has a warrenty!!!!!

if you read the fine print on the back of your service sheets you will all know what im talking about!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
miles not months man. he is over...my stock cd player at 36015 went and they wouldn't give me a replacement.

·
Registered
521 Posts
miles not months man. he is over...my stock cd player at 36015 went and they wouldn't give me a replacement.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Call ford, I am sure that they will help you out. even if they only pay for labor. That will save you $800!!

I had a Dodge Shadow that required a rebuild and was a 1000 miles over, we called and they paid for all the labor for the rebuild.

Major failure should not happen like that (at any mileage), and I would be shocked if ford does not help you out in some way.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No warranty whatsoever. I checked with Ford, because it was a used car, for some reason, the warranties don't apply. Screwed again. I'll eat the cost this time, and hopefully it'll never happen again. That's why I'm putting the forged components in the block for extra insurance.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am quite lucky that I had a back-up in my basement. The quote from my Ford dealer for a stock engine directly from Ford (and waiting 6 weeks for it) installed was $8500. My ZX3 only cost me $6300! Come on. Because of the back-up motor (which I got for $450 w. 11k miles), I will get it port and polished, valve springs and retainers, pulleys, poly mounts, forged rods (stock rods are what busted on my old motor), and hopefully a JBA header for all under $2500 installed. I wasn't planning on going out and just spending $2500 like that, but in this case, I might as well spend the extra cash for engine parts while it's out of the car and opened up. The minimum cost for the installation without any other mods would still be $800, but I'm having a pressure test done on the motor beforehand ($300) to assure funtionality. If it doesn't work, I'm planning on selling the car out for parts and starting over, probably with another ZX3. So don't worry, I'll never leave the Focus line.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts